Boat Cover Question

• boone
    Woodbury, MN

I’m getting a custom snap cover made for a Lund Explorer 1700SS. I wanted to hear opinions about whether or not I should have the front, triangular piece of carpet covered or should I leave it exposed? I’m getting a Minnkota Maxxum trolling motor on the bow that will have the removeable mounting plate. It seems like rain would get into the boat without covering the front carpet but it also seems like it might be a pain to remove the trolling motor to put the cover on.

Thanks for the input,

Boone

KirtH
    Lakeville

That is how I had my Mr Pike, left the front triangle open.

If you want a top shelf snap cover I would rec. Erichsen Marine Canvas

Talk to Jeff, tell him Kirt sent you

http://www.topgunboatcovers.com

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I have a snap cover on my Crestliner Tourney Series. It has the front triangle left out and man is that nice. Never have to worry about dinking with the motor on/off or trying to get the cove rover it. My boat stays dry in the front. Just has about 5-6 snaps on that portion. I would cut out the front triangle in my opnion.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Another vote to leave off the front triangle. One other thing I would consider also. Do you have a dual consule or single consule? If so do they have the removeable windsheild. If both questions are true I would strongly suggest to have the cover fit around the windsheild with it left in place. Its not to big of a deal but it sure would be nice. Also if you do have to take off your windshield everytime it makes loosing the clips a lot easier. My .02

DonJ
    LeMars,IA

Having the front of the cover cut out? Is this pretty common with cover makers?
    I ask because I just bought a cover this last spring and sure wish it had the front portion cutout.
    Alumacraft Magnum 175CS, not only a pia to remove the windshield all the time, but the trolling motor has to be removed also.
    Also does everyone remove their windshields,on a rig similar to mine, when traveling?
    Sorry! didn’t mean to hijack the thread, this one just really got my attention.
    Don J

bobberal
    St Cloud MN, Leech Lake

Ditto to Ripper and Walleye Fool.

The V is the way to go. It does let some water in, but not enough to hassle with. Just make sure when you are have the boat covered on the trailer, pull the plug.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

I have an Explorer tiller with a cover over the front. I rarely use it, but have the Minnkota plastic quick release bracket. I guess its a matter of ease of not removing the motor and having the cover not pulling all the way up.

Also, if you decide to leave the windscreen on the console and put the cover over it. There might be scratches in the shield. Dirt in the cover or on the screen will rub and cause scratching.

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

I’ll go against the grain here… I have a cover on my 18’er that goes all the way to the point of the bow. Taking the trolling motor off is not a big deal – just a single thumb screw, slide it out of the bracket, and you’re done. My cover wraps around the edge and snaps to the underside of the outside edge. Absolutely no water can get in and I can tow the boat covered at full highway speed with no concern about air getting under the cover and lifting up. I’ve seen other boats with that section of the bow exposed and the carpet there really takes a beating with getting wet, sun-baked, etc. I’d much rather slide my trolling motor out than have to replace/repair that section that’s left exposed.

I had my cover custom made at Kuehl’s (spelling??) Canvas in Hudson. He did a great job with it! Heavy-duty canvas, three-pole support and the price was very reasonable. Anyone that has looked at the cover has commented on the excellent material and workmanship.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Another vote for Erichsen at top gun. He made my cover and I love it. If you have removeable windshields you will have to take them off to cover the boat. Reason being is that the little snaps used to hold the shield in place cannot take the load and pressure of the cover.

I have the carpet triangle also exposed, trailered up to Mille in the rain storm for opener, nothing was wet in the boat. Jeff also made a cutout for my trolling motor ram mount.

Got nothing but good things to say about http://www.topgunboatcovers.com

Thats my 2 cents.

Jami

fireline
    Rochester

I need one maded for my 18’5 Alumacraft and wood like to know what is the best water proof and strongest material . thanks

KirtH
    Lakeville

Quote:

I need one maded for my 18’5 Alumacraft and wood like to know what is the best water proof and strongest material . thanks

Click on the link above

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

1700 Prosport. I cover the whole boat to protect and keep dry. I avoid trailoring with cover unless its raining. My cover is custom made to fit with bow mount on boat. Cover same age as boat and still in excellent condition. 1998.

I do most of my business in “the triangle” so that is the last place I want exposed to wear and tear from environment when I’m not using it.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

Thanks for the input guys. I’m going to meet with the dealer and determine what the options are for the cover. I plan to use the TopGun fabric.

Thanks Again,

Boone

fireline
    Rochester

What is the top gun fabric ?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.