Red Lake Map Chip??

• douschmi
    Minneapolis, MN

Does anybody make a mapping chip that includes Red Lake?

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

When the new Lowrance MN Lakemaster chip is released (later this year) it is supposed to have Red Lake on it.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Didn’t they just scan Upper Red lake?

I have it on my Lakemaster chip thats 3 years old but I’m assuming it’s not as detailed.

lookin4fish

be ready to be uninpressed witht he depth contours. not much more than a bowl, with only small depth changes, and a few fish cribs. the crib gps cords you can get off the web. it would be nice to have because lets face it, any new toy is a good one, but i cant say with any confidence it will help out with fishing. i do believe it is a good marketing plan to make depth maps of red becaseu noone has them and people will buy them (us fishierman will buy anything that makes us think it will give us an advantage!)

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Lakemaster surveyed Red recently and planned to put it on the new chip when it’s released. I’m not sure if it’s going to be on the next Navionics release or not. Won’t have that info until December or January most likely.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

The cribs are marked on my lakemaster chip. It’s just not the new scanned map.

Maybe they will show bottom transitions like when you change from mud to sand…

I’d agree with you for the most part about Upper Red. Fish the first break early in the year then pull spinners or cranks wherever later.

CatManLee
    Thief River Falls, MN

No offense to anyone, but I think the Red Lake Map Chip is the last one I would ever buy! The lake for the most part (as mentioned) is a shallow bowl. There really isn’t much to look at on the map besides a few small features. If you want a preview, there are paper maps available with great detail for the lake. After you look at the paper map, then you can decide if you still think it’s worth it?

Just my 2 cents…

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Sorry Cat I would have to disagree. The new Lakemaster chip of Red will be in 6 inch increments that will show transition. These transition areas will give anglers a good starting point to find those schools of winter crappies that can be tough to find. It costs thousands and thousands of dollars to make these chips. Lakemaster wont produce a chip if they dont thing the public will benefit from it. The Lakemaster survey crew uses the latest and most advanced technology to record data and they are extremely accurate. Most paper maps are outdated DNR maps and when Lakemaster releases a chip, people are blown away at the detail.

Just my .02

CatManLee
    Thief River Falls, MN

Outdated? Who made the “NEW” Upper Red Lake Paper Map? I thought for sure it said Lake Master on it? It had extremely good detail and I’m fairly positive it had 6″ changes. (I could be wrong) Sorry if I was/am wrong, but I thought the paper map that came is the same thing that was going to come out on the new chip for electronics this year? Atleast thats what I was told…I could be wrong, I’m not trying to say “I’m right”, just that the map I looked at didn’t “suprise” me. Sure it looks o.k., but I doubt it’s going to help out ALOT when it comes to catching Upper Red Lake Crappies. I guess I’ll find out this winter, when I’m catching less fish than others on Upper Red because I didn’t buy the chip.

If it’s a different map than the one I had looked at earlier this year, then just forget everything I said.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I thought you were referring to the DNR map..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.