Minkota trolling motor question

• jonzimmy
    Rochester, MN

I have a 50# bow mount minkota (12Volt), I run through a single battery in less than a day. Going to purchase additional battery. I have a 3 bank on-board charger. Would I be better off putting the 2 batteries in-line, or setting it up where I can run one dry, than switch to the second….

TSCTSC
    Rochester, MN

U must be running it hard…like 8-10 setting for couple of hours. I used to have a #55 and I have never run out in a day. I could go on a weekend trip and not run out without having to recharge. That is on a single 12 V. But I had a 27 Trojan Deep Cycle. I do not know if the size of your battery may be too small or it is not so good condition. Try bringing the battery to Batteries Plus to have them check it for free. Another option is to check that you have enough water in the battery. If you had to go to two batteries, if you want longevity, I would think having them in parallel would be better since urs is a 12V. Having them in series would convert it to 24V and I am not sure if the 12v motor can be connected like that. So I guess, you should check the water in your battery…then check the battery at batteries plus, lastly, consider getting a larger battery. Hope that it helps.

souleman

I had two batteries hooked up on my old boat. You want to put a switch on it or only run one battery at a time. When I had them hooked together, it melted the fuse holder because the current didn’t drop off for a long time. I bought a switch at West Marine that you could run either battery or both when they started losing the charge and it worked out very good. Go to west marine and look up part # 3831419 this is a similar switch I used.

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

Post deleted by d-nort

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Quote:

If you hook two up in parallel, you’ll maintain 12V, but double your amperage and that is bad for the motor and the rest of the cicuit designed for 1/2 the amps!

Nope, not quite. The amount of current flowing in the circuit will be determined by the load, not the number of batteries. Ohm’s law still applies: I=E/R or Current=Voltage/Load.

Now if you have two batteries in parallel and run them both way down, a charger may have twice the job to do..

Rootski

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

Shown up by the Culligan Man… .

Good catch Rootski .

I guess I meant twice the current will be available with parallel batteries. You’re right though, as long as the load (motor) doesn’t change the current draw will be the same. I’m a 3rd shifter and ready to go to bed…

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Quote:

I’m a 3rd shifter and ready to go to bed…

Been there done that, pal! Get some rest and dream about big old basses…

Rootski

jonzimmy
    Rochester, MN

thanks guys..but now I’m confused…what’s the best strategy? Put them together (positive to positive) and run the as one battery? Or, do install a “switch” where I can use one or the other or both?

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

What is your boat? I would get a 24 Volt motor.

DonJ
    LeMars,IA

Quote:

I bought a switch at West Marine that you could run either battery or both when they started losing the charge and it worked out very good. Go to west marine and look up part # 3831419 this is a similar switch I used.

Same type of switch at Cabelas $27.
    I have the same issue, 12 volt trolling motor and 2 batteries. I get around 14 hours of fish time per battery though.
    I plan on installing the switch versus wiring in parallel.
    That way I can rotate batteries easier before each trip.
    Now if I could only arrange to have enough fish time to drain 2 batteries, wouldn’t that be a terrible problem to have.

greg716
    Inver Grove Heights

I bought two new Batteries (Exide) this spring and hooked them up in parallel to run my 36# MinnKota. I have never been happier! On my trip to Chamberlain SD this April, I ran them all day (7am-9pm) on a charge, and they were still nearly half full when I charged them every night. Granted, I am not pulling the current that a 55# would, but 14 hours on a charge is still pretty impressive as far as I’m concerned. One other thing- I truly believe a good quality automatic charger is at least as important as the batteries. Just my $.02
    Greg

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.