Stainless vs aluminum prop

• BobB
    Dodgeville, Wisconsin

I am asking yet another boating question. Does a stainless prop give more preformance, or is it just more durable? Also, what are your opinions of a stainless prop…durable, or dangerous to lower units when running the river?

Bob.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Stainless will give better performance in most cases. The aluminium flexes a lot so with stainless you will get better hole-shots, and faster top-end.
    As for lower end damage I think that it will be worse with a stainless prop as it takes more force to break so most of the damage will go right to the gears
    I am sure that others will have their input and are better qualified to answer your questions.

Ron

scottsteil
    Central MN

A lot depends on the motor you are running. What motor are we talking about? Brand and HP?

tbird171
    Winona, MN

I agree w/Slider, if you put a stainless on a high h.p. motor (100+), then the hole shot will be a benefit. If it’s a smaller engine, definitely stick with aluminum to save the lower unit especially in the river. There’s also a composite alternative that’s comparable $ to aluminum. The individual fins shear off and can be replaced. I’d think this would be good if you’re running shallow rivers and went through a lot of props.
    Aluminum can usually be repaired, I’m not sure about stainless.
    I bought two alum. brand new off ebay for $125 total…just an option.

BobB
    Dodgeville, Wisconsin

I run a Yamaha F50, 50 horse 4 stroke with the small gear case. It is a great motor and very quiet, but is definately not a motor like a 100 horse power (+) speed demon.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

With that motor I would not bother going stainless. As you will not see a performance enhancement to justify the cost.

Ron

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

With the 50 hp you have Bob, you will probably not see too much gain in speed. You may get better hole shot and better “bite” in sharp turns.

I like S/S props, even on small motors. I have a S/S prop on my 25 hp Merc. I run that prop into rock a few times a year and that alone has saved me the price of many prop repairs. As far a damaging the lower unit. Has not happened to me. And I have taken a few hard hits.

-J.

SLACK
    HASTINGS, MN

i run a yamaha 90hp 2stroke on a alumacraft navigator 175 cs, would i benifit from a s/s prop ?

HenryPF

Slack I run about the same as you but etec 90hp and alumacraft magnum 165cs. You will see better holeshot (your holeshot should be instant now anyhoo) and about 3-4mph extra top end. You can switch to a higher pitch and holeshot will stay the same.

Tonto1
    W & E Wi

The hole shot and peformance will allso depend on the pitch of the prop. We have 90 2-stroke Merc, the stainless has better top end but the allum will come out of the water quicker because of the pitch difference. We run stainless on everything from a 25hp on up due to durability and performance. A stainless prop is easier to fix than a alum. Aluminum is harder to weld, and when welded does not have the strenght as cast.

HenryPF

One thing I will mention – I do have like 5 different SS props (playing with pitch/diameter) for my motor, but I did not pay over $100 for any of them. I wouldn’t run SS if you fishing in areas known to take out lower ends and/or props consistently though.

The comprops people talk about are actually pretty nice but will just about destroy themselves with any prop strike.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I run a 60 HP tiller and I won`t run anthing but stainless. The only exception is if I go up north where I know there is a ton of or should I say nothing but rocks. Running a stainless on the river will save you a lot of prop repairs. Take that aluminum and run skinny water over sand few times( where the motor drags some ) and it will bend the heck out of it or put some awfull nicks in it from the small stones or wood.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I had a stainless on a 70 hp motor a few years ago. I was worried about it because of all the things I heard about them not breaking and ruining your lower unit. From my experience, I loved the stainless even if you hit rocks, wood, or are in sand. They wear a lot slower, do not bend as easy, and look cool I too have hit rocks that would have ruined an aluminum prop. If you can, I would seriously consider going stainless

sjh62
    On the border-Trempealeau

Composite props make great spares.Plus you can get them cheap in the bargain cave at Cabelas.I’d rather have stainless on the river,than alum.I’ve seen MANY chewed-up alum props,and most of the ones I had repaired never held up well.

The performance on the Comprop is very good.I had one on a 3-cylinder 25 OMC motor,and it was quicker than the same one stock.I ran it on a tunnel jon,and it never got a chance to taste the bottom.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.