trolling motor interference

• bait_caster
    Spring Valley, Wis.

I just reconfigured the electronics on my boat. In the process I added my FL18 to the bow. But it doesn’t seem like its going to get along with my trolling motor. I noticed this by just engaging the motor with the FL18 turned on{the screen totally filled with intreference}. I am using 2 rf filters, to no avail. My question is, what else can I do to eliminate this problem? Or is this uinit so sensitive that I’m just going to have to live with it. Let me know what you think? Thanks.

herb
    6ft under

Try running a ground wire from the rudder of your trolling motor to the shaft. There’s a very good article in this month’s Bass and Walleye Boats mag about this interference problem. I don’t understand why the two RF chokes never helped though. Did you get them as close to the flasher as possible?

bait_caster
    Spring Valley, Wis.

I have the rf chokes right behind the flasher. I wrapped the power cord at least 4 times around the choke. I do have a ground wire run, but not on the motor itself. Maybe the problem is how I have the power cord wired. It is wired to the main power switch. I think I’ll wire it direct to the battery. Thanks for turning me on to that article, I’ll check it out.

herb
    6ft under

I have my vex set up for my trolling motor also, but I power mine with the regular 7 amp battery that came with it.

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Hi baitcaster. I had the same problem when I wired my eagle up to the same power line as the trolling motor. Whenever I used the trolling motor tons of interferance. I ran the power and ground back to the main motor battery and since haven’t had the problem. I don’t know if this was the correct fix but it worked. Steve

bait_caster
    Spring Valley, Wis.

Thanks for the help guys!! I have the problem solved.

herb
    6ft under

Well? Tell us how you fixed it. PLEASE?

bait_caster
    Spring Valley, Wis.

sorry bout that. Problem was solved by wiring the unit directly to my starter battery. Also I ran the wires on the opposite side of the boat from where the 6 guage trolling motor wires are. So i have the trolling motor grounded, I have 2 rf chokes with the power cord wrapped 4 times, and I have the unit wired direct to the battery. Problem solved!! Thanks for your input guys. You really helped me out here. Your help has been very much appeciated. Man I love this site!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.