Planer Boards

• RonZimmermann
    Minneapolis, Minnesota

The use of planer boards has been around for many, many years. It started with home made boards on the great lakes and has been continued to improve since then to include the inline boards used for Walleye fishing. I would say that in the last 7 or 8 years they have become very popular. I started using them after attending a PWT tournament on Lake Oahe in South Dakota when a professional tournament angler took the time to show us what he was doing and how to modify the boards to explore their full functionality. We were fishing in 45 feet of water using 4oz. of weight on a bottom bouncer and pulling spinners using the boards. This opened my eyes and since then, running planner boards has become my favorite method of fishing for rivers and lakes. (in the right conditions)
    I use them with bottom bouncers, 3-ways, crank baits, etc. and wouldn’t leave home without them. You’ll find both the Off Shore and Gary Roach brands in my boat since I have found that they each have their advantages over the other. My experience has shown the Off Shore boards can be rigged to allow greater sensitivity for the light bites than the Roach boards while the Roach boards definitely perform better in the rough water and are easier to clip on and off.
    I’d sure like to hear addition feed back on board preferences and uses so I thought I’d start this thread to see who’s using them…
    For fun, I posted a picture of a few fish caught using boards on Lake Erie
    Zim

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.