Refill Disposables

• fishhunter
    Stillwater, Minnesota

I saw in the Cabela’s catalogue that Mr. Heater has a new product out. You can hook on a devise to a bulk 20lb tank and then hook on a 1lb disposable and are able to refill the 1lb tank. I was always told NEVER to do this. I was wondering if any of you have this product or heard anyone having it. It sounds like a good idea but it seems dangerous since they have warnings all over the disposables. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks much.
    FH

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

My gas piping instructor at dunwoody has been doing this for years. I think you hook the two tanks together and then turn the 20# upside down. It has been 5 years since I remember him telling me about this.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I know a number of people who do this regularly. I have never tried, mostly because for about $1.50, you can buy the 1lb tanks and it’s worth not having to run and refill the grill tank.

I don’t really think it takes any special hardware, unless you want to hook them directly. JC Whitney used to sell the same thing, and I would speculate that any hardware store that’s worth it’s salt would have all of the necessary equipment to home-brew one.

As far as the warnings, they’re probably driven by product liability issues. Companies that make the little 1lb tanks don’t want to have to pay a million dollars to the widow of every idiot who overfills a tank. I do know, however, that once they have been refilled (legal in most states) you cannot transport them across state lines – another example of the fed gov’t saving you from yourself via the interstate commerce clause.

Chitwood46
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

The refilling of disposables must be done Safely! Let’s hope no one ever has a fire or explosion while attempting to refill the small containers. In this day of overflowing landfills and the need for us all to conserve, I would hope the manufacturers responsible for these products come up with something that eliminates containers ending up in the landfill. I would bet the group most likely to use these things would prefer a system or container that was not a throw away! Hope we never see one floating in the river!n

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I also think the small tanks have a relief valve on them. This should help with the problem of overfilling.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I have a little experience with those valves. I found that after 1-2 fills, those one-pound tanks don’t hold the gas. They slowly leak dry after a few days. Garage always stinking like propane. There is a good reason the Gov don’t want you refilling the tanks. Most fires happen when the propane gas leaks and settles into the lowest area of the house (Propane is heavier than air) That place is often where the water heater or furnace is….pow!

Also, the new 20lb propane tanks (The one”s with the new valves) have a device in the tank that will stop the gas flow if you tilt the tank on it’s side. Will keep your propane garage heater from exploding into flames if your 20lb tank tips over. These safety features are designed to stop you from doing stuff like refills on one-pound tanks.

If you do choose to re-fill, don’t overfill. After filling put the tank on the heater or lantern right away so the gas does not escape.

Good luck.
    J.

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

if you decide you don’t want to mess around with the weight of the 20 pounders
    Fleet Farm and I’m sure others carry the 5 pound model. I bought one and had it filled
    for my Mr. Heater. Steve

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Good point leini, you can get a 5, 11 or 20 lb. bottle now. They aren’t cheap, but well worth it as far as I’m concerned. I’d rather not have my house go up in flames because I saved a few bucks over the ice season.

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

The old style 20# tanks are now illegal to refill so this may become a non issue. I have one of those
    small fillers that screwed into the big tank and my experience was exactly as you said, frequently
    the core valve didn’t hold and the gas leaked out. I just quit using it and look for the pounders on sale.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.