Vexilar or Marcum?

• elheldt
    N E Iowa

I haven’t had a flasher and was all set to order a vexilar fl-18 Ultra and now I am hearing about the Marcum lx 5. I have had about 30 minutes experiance on the vex-18 and that is the extant of my expertice. You guys are all very savvy. Any advice. Gene

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

My input on the FL-18 is that the technology Vexilar uses is to actually turn the power down to see targets better and create less noise. The quality of the reciever is what counts the most. The FL-18 is great for direct sun viewing and has the bottom lock feature for open water fishing and is the only flasher that is compatible with Minn-kota trolling motors. I just got two Ultra Pacs and they truely are the top of the line.

elheldt
    N E Iowa

Thanks Derek. I am basically thinking of it for the Ice.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Do you own a boat?

elheldt
    N E Iowa

Yes. I have a 14 ft Lund. And I do have a Minnkota TM,

Matt Hall
    Mount Horeb, WI

I have never used a Marcum, but am very impressed with my new (at least to me) FL18. I tried it out last weekend for the first time and it was awesome. Like I said I’ve never used the Marcum but thumbs up to the FL18.

Matt

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

You will like using a flasher in the open water season. Its a great tool even if you already have a LCD. Your going to spend alot of money and should get the most use out of it as you can.. I can send you a Vexilar DVD if you like..

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I like the Vexilar FL-18 but I’ve only used Vexilar and we only sell Vexilar so I am surely biased. I also know that Vexilar has some of the best customer service in the industry. Good luck in your research.

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

This is not a slam against the LX-5 but my friend just bought one and it came DEAD on Arrival in the box. He had to send it in for warranty work right away as the dealer would not take it back. I have had FL8 what seems forever and just purchased an UltraPack FL-18 and have 3 friends who also bought the ProPack II FL18. We all got the 9/19 dual cone transducers. I talked to the Vexilar rep at the Ice Show for a long time and he told me the Quality level of their unit was incredible..a 0.06% return to the factory. I read the Mn Ice Fishing Forum and they talk a LOT about the LX series going back for warranty work. I have no experience with the LX Marcums but sure love my old Vex and assume I will like the new one as well.

revermann
    Rice, MN

I’ve been using a Vexlar for years now and love it.
    I started out with the FL8 and as soon as they came out with the FL18 I upgraded and I love the new options. I use it the winter and the summer.
    I don’t really know if I could fish without it anymore.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Lots of Vexilar fans Before you buy a flasher make sure you check out the LX-5 for sure. MarCum makes an entire line of flashers. Comparing the FL-18 & the LX-5 is like comparing apples to oranges. The FL-18 is very similar to MarCum’s LX-2, accept the LX-2 comes with more power and two levels of zoom and a handy soft pack.

The LX-5 is so much more then anything on the Market. With the LX-5 you get 2000 watts of power, so you can actually use the unit in deep water. You get 12 levels of Interfernce Rejection so you can actually tune out other models and brands. You get a dual beam transducer (20/8) that is switchable on the key pad. You get Super Fine Line display so you can have 3/4 inch target seperation without going into the zoom mode. You get an adjustable zoom that can move anywhere in the water column so you can see those suspended fish. You get an LED lighting system that is 10 times brighter and crisper then the competition for excellent viewing in direct sunlight. You get the best charging system on the market so you don’t burn up your batteries. You get the best warranty and service there is (my opinion).

As for this whole receiver debate. It is a big myth. MarCum uses some of the best receivers on the market and they test out much better then those used in ANY vexilar product. There is a reason FL-18’s don’t work well in deep water…not enough power!

If you want the best flasher on the Market, get the LX-5.

If you don’t need all those features, but like the LED display that is bright and crisp..Get the LX-3tc

If you want to save some money and get a product that will meet most peoples needs on the ice..get the LX-2

If you want old technology..Get the FL-18

Yes, I am biased. I am on MarCum’s Pro Staff and I had a lot of input in the design of the LX-5. I personally did the testing last year and know that it is the best unit out there. I also know that I am one of the few that have used ALL the units out there and tested them side by side.

That is my 2 cents, take if for what it is worth.

csp88
    Ankeny, Iowa

Quote:

Lots of Vexilar fans

That says it all.

Chad

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Both Al Linder and Dave Genz have used the FL-18 in depths up to 300 feet fishing lake trout.

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

I have been using the FL8 for 3 years now, hoping to upgrade before next winter, after all my research I’m going to get the LX-5. Just looks to me like they have been improving thier product faster than Vexilar.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I’m interested in seeing the LX-5. If it really is 10 times brighter than the FL-18, your probably going to need a welders helmet to read it. The FL-18 warranty is 2 years. I couldn’t find the warranty info for the LX-5 on the Marcum website?

scottsteil
    Central MN

That would be a good idea Derek, do what I do, use all the units side by side and see what you think is the best. So far it has been pretty clear to anyone who has

crosby-stick
    Crosby MN

MarCum fan for sure but both units will do what what they are intended to do mark fish !! Look close at both units weight options and chose ! Good Fishing

bigroy
    Winona, MN

VEXILAR VEXILAR VEXILAR. and when they upgrade the fl-18
    to the FL what ever. i will buy one of them. i have used both and the marcum is a great unit. however the marcum guys allways compare to vexilar. because they are number one in the market. so hey i will just buy vexilar. marcum
    bashes aqua-vu too. but aqua view is number one in camera’s.
    marcum has been playing catch up with vexilar and aqua-vu
    in ice fishing ever since this technical explosian in ice fishing. the other thing with marcum is they are allways behind in production on all there products. also taking advice on what to spend your money on from someone on the payroll might not be all that smart. i would go with a sure thing vexilar. there is a reason a company sells more units then another.

chuckles
    Manchester, Iowa

Tell you what – you look at the accessories available for a vex… and then make your decision… they can talk about all the power the Marcum has but I rarely need to even take the FL-18 off the low power settings to see what I need to see. I use mine on hard and soft water alot. It does everything I ask of it. The puck transducer on my Minn-Kota trolling motor rocks and the 9 degree 19 degree ice ducer is the best of both worlds for the ice… never had a problem seeing the display on the vex so I don’t know why 10 times brighter would help… I sold my second-hand FL-8 to buy the 18… and see the guy who bought it posted a guide report with it in the photo recently… it’s still in use and catching fish! Your results may vary – Chuckles

BeeGee1
    SE Minnesota

Derek
    Marcum has a two year warranty as does Vexilar.
    I have a LX-5. It is the only flasher I have ever had. We were on the ice with it last week and I had a ball watching fish come in and hit the bait. You could even see some come close then zoom up out of the cone.

yellowjacket
    Byron, MN

I too am torn between buying an Ultra FL18 and an LX5. I’ve never used a flasher so it probably wouldn’t make a difference quality wise for me until I learn to use it.

Can either be placed on the ice to determine depth before drilling?

I know one thing, I will be purchasing one or the other here before Christmas (or having one purchased for me )

Personally, a used FL8 or LX 3 would probably be fine for me since I’ve never used a flasher, but not sure if I want to take a chance on buying a used one vs purchasing new with warranty

Steve Vick
    New London, MN

For lack of wanting to post a detailed debate on the topic…..Lets just say this…….”My Chevy has more power than your Ford”………. and “My Alumacraft rides much better than your lund”………and “My St. Croix rods are way more sensitive than your G’Loomis’……..and “my black lab hunts better than any golden retriever ever will!”…..Oh ya, and “the Vikings always have and always will be better than the Packers!”

Since I now work in the retail fishing world, I have this discussion many times a day and find it quite interesting what people say one way or the other about both products. You can’t go wrong with either one!

scottsteil
    Central MN

If you have never used a flasher, just get one, any model or kind. They are a must on the ice. After that, then decide which model fits your needs best.

If you are looking for last years model LX-3, I have 2 new ones sitting on my desk right now. They do not have the TC upgrade, but certainly could be upgraded. Again, they are new units. I picked them up yesterday and they will be out the door by the end of the day I would imagine. If you are interested, let me know soon.

yellowjacket
    Byron, MN

Will they come complete? Which Transducer? What accessories come with? Price? How much to ship to me? Email at [email protected].

yellowjacket
    Byron, MN

Quote:

For lack of wanting to post a detailed debate on the topic…..Lets just say this…….”My Chevy has more power than your Ford”………. and “My Alumacraft rides much better than your lund”………and “My St. Croix rods are way more sensitive than your G’Loomis’……..and “my black lab hunts better than any golden retriever ever will!”…..Oh ya, and “the Vikings always have and always will be better than the Packers!”

Since I now work in the retail fishing world, I have this discussion many times a day and find it quite interesting what people say one way or the other about both products. You can’t go wrong with either one!

Steve,

Chevy over Ford, no way, NEVER…(hee hee)
    I agree with St. Croix
    How did you know I had a golden retriever?
    Totally Agree with the Vikings….

Thanx for the advise….just need to dive in and get something….will either tell me depth by placing the transduce on top of the ice before drilling? I don’t move much, but move enough that I would like this

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

[quotewill either tell me depth by placing the transduce on top of the ice before drilling? I don’t move much, but move enough that I would like this

Yes both will get the depth. Pour some water on to the ice, place the tranducer in the water and presto.

Ron

yellowjacket
    Byron, MN

Thanx Ron, That’s what I thought

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

Yep, what Steve said.

If any of you IDA folks decide to go with a Vexilar flasher, shoot me an email for price options. I don’t have any used… new units only.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

And FREE shipping and no sales tax outside of Iowa too from Wade. Hes the guy Nate and I bought ours from. Great service and prices.
    Thanks, Bill

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

If you choose Marcum then Scotts the way to go. I bought my underwater camera and LX-i from him.
    Thanks, Bill

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.