50 hp Mercury

• dinosaur
    South St. Paul, Mn.

I have an early 80’s 50 hp Merc , 4 cylinder. I have no spark out of one of the coils , the other 3 are OK. If I used my meter correctly it appears that the coil has not failed “open” , it has resistance. I am looking for a Tech’s idea on how to test the power pack for voltage without causing other problems. I may call TC Outboards to see what the parts are worth before I try to take it to a repair shop.
    Thanks , Dino

TBOMN11
    Circle Pines, MN

Had the same problem with a 1995 60hp Merc/3cylinder. As far as a test for a coil, I am told there isn’t a reliable test. I replaced the coil, and she worked well….a coil for the 60 hp was $65. No problem to replace it.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I had a similair problem with an old bike that a friend gave me. The coils seemed to check out, but one of them wasn’t generating any spark. It turned out to be the timing pick-up that fits on the end of the crank. The fella that had it before me had replaced the old points with a solid-state optical pick-up and half of it broke.

I’ve never really dug into outboards that much, is it possible to wire the trigger from another coil over and crank the motor by hand, or is it all connectorized and impossible to work with? Can you tap into the trigger from the ‘bad’ coil and ohm it to ground to insure that it is opening up (again, cranking the motor slowly by hand)?

If the resistance across the ‘bad’ coil is in line with the others, it seems very unlikely that it is the source of the problem.

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Dino….call Eddy Lyback at J&M marine Isle,Mn he is the best Merc. guy that I know. He can be reached this time of the year at his winter job Lyback’s Ice fishing Wahkon,Mn 320-676-8740

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.