tail light problem

• Whiskerkev
    Madison

I have a shorelander trailer. It is one year old. The blinkers work although dim until I turn the head lamps on and then I get nothing. I have tested the plug and everything is working on the tow vehicle. I though maybe a ground but all seems in order. Any assistance is appreciated.

chico-diablo
    New Richmond, WI

I would still say it is a ground problem, Use a piece of wire with gator clips on both ends and place one on the frame of the vehicle and the other on the trailer frame.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Thanks Chico,

That is an excellent idea. It will confirm what I suspected.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I had re-curring problems with a Shorlander trailer lights. The problem ended up being the connection where the side running lights were spliced in. They use a cheap pinch connector that gets corroded. Once I re-did that connection, problem solved. (Resplice and solder the connection and coat with that liquid plastic stuff that dries into a waterproof seal.)

Good Luck…..I HATE trailer wiring problems!!!

-J.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Thanks Jon,

I had suspected that spot was the issue.

chico-diablo
    New Richmond, WI

Did you find the problem

Whiskerkev
    Madison

It turns out the bolt that attaches the ground to the trailer was the culprit. I took it off, wire brushed it, put it back on and voila bright lights all around. While I was messing with it, I also did what Jon suggested with those crappy connectors.

bam_bam
    Badger, MN- not too far from the big pond!

if you want to end that problem forever, take the ground connector and sanwhich it between two washers, and weld the washers to the trailer. One little bead all the way around the washer will end a lot of headaches

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.