question about prop size on small motor

• woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

I recently spent a week camping in the Voyagure Nat’l Park. 5 couples including my wife and I. Had 4 boats and a barge made of 2 canoes and steel rod to tie them together to bring our stuff out. Don’t believe in roughing it much. We were in 16 miles from the landing. My question:

It is necessary to overload my 14 foot jon with a 15 horse Merc. It is loaded so that there is no way for it to plane or for the motor to reach anything near max rpm at full throttle. I know that I shouldn’t load the boat like that but I will do it again next year anyway. Should I use a smaller prop and if so, what would be the advantages. I mean, besides getting a bigger motor which is out of the question, taking more trips is also out of the question, what can I do to maximize the performance of my outfit when placed under such a load?

kreading
    Iowa, Davenport

Wooley, prop dia. doesn’t necessarily mean +/- RPMs. The big determiner is “blade pitch”. From your existing prop you now have a base line established. It’s far cheaper to change the “pitch” especially with an Allum. one. Your local hammer
    smith with the proper dies can do it for ya !

Actually the worst propeller you could ever use is an Alluminum one , but they come standard. A steel prop is your best choice–you pay extra but in the long run they are a mush better performer Why you ask–with out getting to technical—-when under power the blade does not “deform” like an allum blade does. This essentually means that “you’re blade is taking a full bite” and the prop is moving the proper length linearly with each rev. oops sorry there I go
    getting cared away again !!

Kensyl Reading——–EFN ProStaff
    Ol’ Miss Guide Service

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.