Can’t find my shorts!

• SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

I have a problem with the lights on my trailer , when I apply the brakes all the light go out ! Should I be looking for a bare wire or should I add an additional ground from the truck to the boat?It does the same thing with different tow vehicles so I feel it must be the trailer. Thanks, Dave

big dad
    Rochester, Minnesota

Sure does sound like a bad ground on trailer

herb
    6ft under

Good title Dave. Had the same problem a couple years ago with my old rig. It was a bare wire that wasn’t affected until I applied the brakes and then it would blow a fuse under the hood of my Ford.
    Might not be a bad idea while you’re at it to clean all the grounding points like where the hitch ball goes up and into the trailer tongue. Lots of rust builds up in there at times.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

iT’S GOTTA BE THE GROUND

eC

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

It’s a pain but whenever you have any wiring issues it’s a good idea to trace out all the wiring. If you have a problem, chances are you’ll find a couple other “potetial” problems and it’ll give you a chance to repair those before they become your next headache. This does sound like a ground issue but I still recommend looking it all over.

theleadsled
    Washington, Ia.

I for one Dave,will be glad when you find your shorts! LOL! Give McVey a call. He’s a wiz at this type of problem.

Jerry K
    Stewartville

If you have a set of jumper cables hook one cable to trailer and other end to to tow vehicle making sure to get good connection. If lights work it is a bad ground between trailer and tow vehicle if they don’t work it is a power problem.
    Good luck! Jerry

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

Thanks to all for your help, after further inspection I found one bare wire and the ground wire itself was pulled out of its crimp on spade . Its not back to full brightness so I will try the jumper cable idea . Thanks again , Dave

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.