St. Croix Rods

• bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

This is going to be a different kind of report or product review on a brand of rods. Nate was fishing the Bay City flats last Sunday drifting jigs and all of a sudden I and about every other boat out there turned our heads as we heard a “big splash”. I looked over towards Nates boat as I thought maybe Nate had a big fish on. What I saw was Nates head coming up out of the water. He looked around and everyone was staring at him and he hollered “I got my rod back!” Yup, those St. Croix Rods are worth diving into the water for! And guess what, he and his partner did win the tournament Sunday with their St. Croix Rods. [ps. couldn’t resist sharing this son]

hawger
    Owatonna, MN

Thanks Bill… Great job Nate! Ok, Nate…. lets hear the story.
    I thought I was going to loose Smitty after a rod, the other day. We were Sunfishing and a Bass pulled his bait-caster right out of his hand… Only had to go in up to his elbow to get it back… man, I did not know Smitty could move that fast!
    Hawger

nate-cadwell
    Rochester, Mn

Alright Dave here it goes
    My partner and I were dragging the Bay City flats. we were using two rods a piece and I set one of them down against the gunnel of the boat to light a ciggarette and next thing I knew my St. Croix Rod was going straigt into the river so I decided to make a attempt to retrieve it, so I jumped in after it luckily when I hit the water my hand with the ciggarette in it landed right on the rod and got it back. then the first words out of my smart as# partners mouth was (Did you set the hook it was probely a fish) as he sat in the back of the boat with both of his rods still in his hands. so I had to swim back to the boat, instead of him pulling over to help me.
    but as we laughed about it afterwards I told him I don’t care how deep it is I would do it again for that rod.
    so we had a pretty exciting day landing big sheephead and trying to retrieve rods anyone want to go fishing?

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

ATTA BOY NATE!!!! I would’ve done the same thing! Not because of the rod’s expense, but the models I own are THAT GOOD! You don’t want to buy it twice but worse yet is fishing the rest of your day or weekend with something else! It’s a confidence thing…………..right?

Besides, you can still grin over a story like this one vs. “I lost my favorite rod”. Congrats on your win and thanks for the grin!!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Hey Nate, isn’t it against the rules to leave the boat during most tournaments??? You better not try that in October during the RCL, it will be a lot colder….burrrrrr

I love my Croix’s too, so I probably would have done the same. Glad you got it back!!!

Oh and thanks for sharing Bill.

nate-cadwell
    Rochester, Mn

In most tourneys the rule is one partner has to stay in the boat at all times.
    and as far as The RCL goes the only thing I would be jumping in for would be a fish that got knocked off with the net or better yet just send the AM in instead. (HINT HINT HAWG)
    J/K
    just glad I can laugh about it now I know my partner was all day at work

bassbaron
    eldridge, ia

Nate, I can relate- my dog knocked my st croix into our 18 acre lake earlier this spring and i spent the better part of 3 days skin diving in 13 feet of 65 degree water looking for it, but unfortunately was not as lucky and never found it. The neighbors were ready to have me committed until i told them the price, and personal value of the rod and reel. (I think they thought it was the old zebco 202 combo). Anyway, I have pretty much given up on it, but replaced it with st croix- those rods are darn good!

hawger
    Owatonna, MN

I can see the ad campaign now…
    St Ctoix – “Worth diving in for”!
    Thanks, Nate.
    Hawger

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

I know how you feel , I had a 7′ Avid and a Curado go over last week end but the cork kept it afloat till I could grab it . Whew! I would hate to lose my favorite combo .

Anonymous

Bill,
    Just think when you fish with Nate no more adjusting the greyscale or contrast on your locator. No need for a underwater camera. When you want to know what kind of structure your fishing just send Nate overboard. Let me know if I can use him sometime this year, I have been fishing some humps and would really like to know what is down there.
    Nate,this could be a new career opportunity for you.
    see you on the water, or in the water.
    Don

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.