Question on hydro-foils

• clintm
    mazeppa mn

I have a tracker pro guide v16 and it takes almost full throttle to get on plain does any one recommend a good hydro-foil. Are any cheao ones good or should i stick whit a higher priced(quality) one. Thanks.

danwi
    westby wi

I use Stingray hydro foil and like it alot. As far as the cheaper foils go im not sure but like every thing else, you get what ya pay for

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I was just thinking about them again today, I had a co-worker that had one but took it of for the river, too many big waves had him plowing through the waves, instead of over them. It keeps me from putting it one my boat, I may try it again someday.

fireman731
    Miles, Iowa

I run a stingray foil and like it for the hole shot, on full plane with the jack plate up it’s not in the water.

glb
    Twin Cities

Be sure the size of the fin is for the size of motor. Don’t put one on that is only for substantially larger motors than you have.

It’s best if you have electric trim, because with a fin installed you should really trim often and be aware of your trim setting.

Too much speed with too much down trim will cause the boat to lean to one side or the other while going straight. Too much down trim will also cause the boat to lean a lot more in a turn at cruise, even though it takes a larger area to turn around. This can be very scary. I have put the rubrail of my 19 ft I/O in the water doing this.

If it leans too much…….trim up.
    If it porpoises…………trim down.

Hope this helps.

clintm
    mazeppa mn

Thanks for the info everyone. This site is great for someone who hasn’t had a boat before and has questions.
    thanks again,
    Clint

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

I put a Stingray on my first boat, 16″ Alumacraft LTD with a 30hp 2 cylce Johnson. It worked out pretty good.
    I put a Doal Fin on my second boat. Alumacraft again, Magnum 165 with a 50hp, 4 stroke Mercury. The Doal Fin did not seem to perform as well for me.
    My current boat, a Lund Pro-V 1800 with a 175hp Evinrude, has another Stingray Hydra-foil on it which performs very well.
    JWb

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.