Electric Transom Mount Trolling Motor Placement???

• pyake

I am putting a transom mount Vector 3X trolling motor on the back of my 1750 Fishhawk. There is a plate that must be installed on the inboard side to accept the clamp screws that secure the motor to the transom. Before I drill any holes, I would appreciate some feedback…

Starboard vs port side – I am leaning towards mounting on the port side mainly because it will allow me to view the sonar easily which is mounted on the bow. Also thought that the weight distribution would be better (opposite of where I would sit at the helm) when I am alone in the boat. Also, the control cable for the main outboard runs along the starboard side and would be somewhat of an interferance with mounting.

The other debate is the placement of the motor relative to the centerline of the boat. I am thinking that it is best from a control standpoint to keep the trolling motor as close to the centerline as possible without getting into interference with the main outboard. On the other hand, favoring the centerline makes it hard to stand and fish from that corner of the boat if the motor is in the stored position.

Hopefully some of you have some experience to share pros and cons. Thanks,

Pete

Don Hanson

Pete, you have a good grasp what your looking for in the placement of the motor. two key factors are ease of running the motor in either a seated or standing position, and easy viewing of your locator.

Because of a portside kicker, I mounted my Vector as close as possible to center on the starboard side. Instead of drilling holes for the mounting plate, I tacked the corners with a clear silicone and secured the clamps with a lock. I have not had any problem with the motor or plate sliding. I avoid drilling holes if I can get by with it.

pyake

Thanks Don!!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.