Your favorite plastics for walleye fishing ??

• ksdog
    Marion, Ks.

What are your most productive plastics for walleye fishing and in what color ? Thanks.

Don Hanson

For fishing river eyes K-grubs are my favorite bait. Followed by ringworms and then Doo’s. Having a variety of colors to adjust for conditions is key. My best colors would be firetiger and chartreuse. On lakes K-grubs and power minnows are my go to baits. Black is my favorite color on lakes.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

Sassy Shad. I use sassy shad for vertical jigging and for the plastic on my 3-way drop jig. Occasionally I use purple twister tails and ring worms for vertical jigging as well. Colors vary depending on the conditions. On my 3-way drop jigs I use a natural (pearl) color with either blue or black accent. I try to use the natural pearl/black for vertical jigging. There are times when a specific color works the best but you can never go wrong fishing a natural color plastic. There have been many times when you cannot get a bite on most colors but the natural color will produce. I also use unpainted jig heads for vertical jigging. Sometimes the fish don’t want colors but they will always take an uncolored jig. I do use painted jig heads for warm weather fishing as the color helps in murky water. I keep a red permanent marker in my tackle to color in the gills on the sassy shad. I think a little splash of red helps at times.

Eyehunter

crappie catcher
    Central MN

I have had good luck using Ring-N-Grubs that have soaked in a mixture of Kick’n Bass and water, in a freezer bag. The colors I have had the best luck on are Firetiger & Firetiger Core, Chartruese is another good choice.

The waters I walleye fish in, both River and Lake are usually a little turbid so my jig of choice is a white glow in at least 1/2oz, tipped with a Crawler or Minnow.

These plastics are very life like in the water and have out produced anything else that I have tried. they are shorter than the Super Do’s and allow a faster hook set.

Ron

todd_miller
    Houlton, WI.

In my extremly limited experience on Pool 4 I like to use doos and ringworms.have had success on both.I have tried the paddletails but haven’t got bit on one YET. I use the h2o precision jig heads.colers for me have been orange,black/char. Also a pearl flecked color not sure what bfish calls it but you can buy them at Everts so stop in and grab a few bags to experiment with.

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

On Iowa’s natural lakes I really like the 3 & 4″ Berkley Power Minnows with glow being my favorite color.Been many times that these plastics have caught more eyes than live bait in my boat.
    Also the Gulp! minnow and minnow grub are a awesome plastic.
    Don’t forget to give the 6″ Power nightcrawlers a try also.They can be deadly on bass when you wacky worm fish them in and around docks.
    Ryan Hale

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

I have taken more walleye’s on the river over 5lbs on a 5″ firecracker K-Grub in the cold water months than any other bait in my boat. Other colors that produce well for me on the 5″ K-grubs are chartreuse pepper, chartreuse pearl and pealr blue s/p.

Ringworms are my next go to big fish bait. In the cold water season, the pro-blue or oyster shell are my best hands down. Firecracker, chartreuse pepper and purple with white tail are a close second.

Once we get some run off in the river the tu-tone colors like tequila sunrise, black silver, black/blue, purple/chartruse tail and chartreuse/green core get a lot of my attention on the ring worms.

eelpout

Don, MIKE from chi-town, mis filed the pics of the halloween walleye . will find them in the spring cleanup of all my crap. are you takin that flat bottom into the rivers.BTY do you know if tainter is getting drained this year. if so when. MIKE

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

After fishing plastics for the last 2.5 years Im not sure if I have a favorite yet. Every season, shift in current levels or water clarity seems to change what they want. If I was to just take one plastic bait fishing, heck it would be just like fishing with minnows. One of the things that is so great about plastics is to be able to pull a different color or style out of the bag and fish it. Alot of places seem to need a few different items thrown in there to coax all the fish out. I would think that if you where just getting into plastics plan to start out with at least 6 to 12 different styles or colors of baits. Once you get hooked on fishing them these numbers will most likely go up.

Any ways as far as styles I like ring worms, k grubs and a few items that Yum makes. Some days I wonder if there is a style of plastic that a walleye wont hit.
    Colors. Blue or purple ring worms with the white tail is a must to have with. Chartruse pepper in any plastic you have would be good. Fire tiger and white was also good to me this fall.

Maybe the question should be what color or types of plastics due you not like for catching walleyes. That might get some interisting answers.

Good luck fishing.

bfishntackle
    Coralville,IA

When you fish Ringworms with the colored tails, do you prefer a white tail or the pearl tail ? Or doesn’t it matter ? I will be placing orders for several colors and I thought I’d get a general consensus

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Didnt know there was 2 varitys of white tails out there. Thought it was just white, chartruse or orange.

How about one with a glow tail? I have no idea what it would do but sounds interisting.

Don Hanson

I have been out a few times with the flatbottom. Now that the boat show season is over I will be hitting it more often. The replacement of the Cedar Falls dam is supposed to happen this year, I do not know when they are scheduled to start it though.
    Dave, if I had to choose one I would opt for the white tails. It is nice to have the pearl tails on hand just in case.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I like the Berkley Power Minnow in white and shad. I want to try GULP! more this year. I liked what I saw from it last season but did not get to use it for walleye much. I also want to try the B-Fish-N plastics on the river this year.

bfishntackle
    Coralville,IA

Trying to keep as much stock as I can but keeping each RW in each color may be a problem…

I do like to hear your input though…in the end it’s part of the deciding factor !!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I love the purple and white. I always have one down on one rod. I will use Firecracker and Oyster a lot in both Ringworms and K-tails. I don’t know if Pearl or White make a difference in the tail. I think it is more the contrast of the two colors that works.

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

Hey B FISH N are you going to have any of the ringworms in special purple. Got some from james once and liked them but couldn’t find them on the site.

bfishntackle
    Coralville,IA

Special Purple ? Like the SD Color ?

Got a picture ?

Almost sounds like the Pro Blue we have ?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Hey SS,

IF this is Wayne’s buddy I remember what I gave you. Those were the Pro Blue that BFT is talking about.

bfishntackle
    Coralville,IA

This is the best picture I have right now…Does it look like the one ?

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I found some black ringworms with silver glitter in them and a pearl tail that have produced really well for me. I got them out of a bargain bin and haven’t seen that color since. I like the pearl tails, but have done well with both.

What about a glitter tail on a non-glitter body??

John

starkj25

where can you by ringworms besides online, does anyone like gander mountain or scheels have them?

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Gander Mountain (15 stores in the Mid-West)
    Scheels Bait & Tackle (stores in IA & MN)
    Everts Resort, Hagar City, WI – Pool 4 Mississippi River
    Hooked on Fishing, Rochester, MN.
    D&J Riversports (both stores), Onalaska & LaCrosse, WI.
    TriState Bait & Tackle, LaCresent, MN.
    Ace Hardware, LaCrosse, WI.
    4 Seasons, Red Wing, MN.
    Falling Rock Bait & Tackle, Prairie du Chien, WI.

BFISHN Tackle

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Gander in Eau Claire has them and BFT will be at the Madison Sports Show this weekend with the largest selection you’re likely to see any place and at sport show prices. Booth #170.

Quote:

where can you by ringworms besides online, does anyone like gander mountain or scheels have them?

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Tis the season for fishing these deadly plastics…
    A couple of plastics that really got my attention this past fall as BIG fish producers were;

YUM 3-1/2″ & 4-1/2″ Croaker Tails

and

YUM 3″ & 4″ Wooly Curltail

The 4″ and 4-1/2″ plastics in these body styles are big and bulky, but when waters turn dirty like we are starting to see now on the river, these bigger bulkier plastics get my nod for putting more quality than quanity in the boat this spring!

The more and more we all fish any current designs or new designs, I think we begin to realize that walleyes can be as opportunistic than bass at times. Being the right place at the right time is always key….then it often comes down to confidence!

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

Steve,

I’ve been looking for YUM’s and have yet to find a decent supplier. I’ve looked at Fleet Farm and Gander in Roch and Fleet Farm and Cabela’s in Owatonna. Any suggestions on a store in the cities? Thanks, Kurt

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I saw a bunch of YUM plastics at Dick’s (Formerly Galyans) but I don’t remember if these were there. You may want to call. They have stores in Woodbury, Bloominton, and Minnetonka that I know of. Same listing as Galyans was.
    Tuck

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Spent my fair share of time looking for Yum plastics in the twin cities also. Not even a hint of the 2 plastics that Steve had listed. The few packages that I did find where in a clearance bin at sportsmens wharehouse in coon rapids. This was atleast 1.5 years ago and they where just .99 sample packs.

If you do find some lets us know. I am heading to Florida this weekend and plan onlooking for croaker curtains down there. Since they are a salt water bait I might get lucky.

bigpike

Pretty dissapointed James….went into Gander here in Eau Claire and the shelves are bare naked, your picture graced about three packages of k-gribs and ring worms, in general they have nothing in stock, also very little at scheels…back to the net!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

What’s a guy to do?

At least you know that bfishntackle.com will always have what you want when you want it. Too bad the Eau Claire store doesn’t have a stock like the Onalaska store. They have EVERYTHING all the time. About all an angler can do is get after the dept head when you go in there and tell them what they’re missing out on.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.