Shimano Compre Spinning Rods

• Bassn Dan

I’m planning to get a one piece 7′ ML spinning rod for splitshotting and pitching floats for panfish, and for occasional light jig fishing for walleyes. While a St. Croix Avid would be nice, I can’t justify the cost for a rod used mostly for panfishing.

Shimano’s Compre rods seem like a quality rod at a medium price point ($90) plus they have a lifetime “over the counter” warranty.

Any comments regarding Compre rods, or other rods you would suggest?

Thanks
    Dan

robby
    Quad Cities

Dan, you should have no problems with a Shimano, Compre but I believe that $90 is paying too much. Check around I believe you can get a better price that. Also check out the Shimano, Clarus series rods. They are a decent mid-range stick.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Compres are the same price range as the St. Croix Premier series. IMHO the St. Croix has a little more responsive action…whereas the Compre certainly gives a nice warrantee, the St. Croix is also similar in guarantee, but omly for 1 year on the Premier.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

90 bucks is too much to spend. they normally retail for $79.99. I own 2 and a Clarus. I prefer the St Croixs but like the Shimanos.

Bassn Dan

Thanks for input. And yes, most of the Compre rods do sell for $79.99, but they bump the price up to $89.99 for anything 7′ or longer. The CPS-70MLA is the rod I’m interested in, on paper anyway, but I would like to see the extra fast version also. I hope to see them at Gander, etc. to check them out.

From what I’m hearing so far, a Compre seems like a decent choice for what I have in mind.

Thanks.

Dan

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I paid $39.99 for a 7’er last Spring during a close out sale @ Gander Woodbury MN. Shop around a little.

Bassn Dan

Yeah, I saw those last year too. They had the prior year’s models on clearance sale. All of the rods I saw were medium actions, which I don’t need more of, but it still just about killed me to walk away from that kind of deal! You got a GREAT deal. If they would have had some medium lights, medium heavies, or heavy action rods in the mix I would grabbed them in a heart beat!

Dan

dinosaur
    South St. Paul, Mn.

The St Croix Premier has a 2 year warantee and the rod has to be sent back to St Croix where they determine if the rod actually broke while fishing.

Shimano offers an “over the counter-no questions asked” lifetime warantee where the retail store is allowed to replace the rod with the same model immediately. This makes the Shimano a favorite with plenty of customers.

Has anyone had a chance to look at the new Shimano Crucial? This rod is in the $120 / $130 range. It looks like Shimano may attract some of the St Croix Avid or Fenwick Tech AV fans.

Dino

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

you are correct. there were no M/L’s there. I got the 7’medium. In fact, I bought 3 of them called two buddies and told them they HAD to buy the rods from me. They were never going to find a better deal. Try the Clarus. I really have a hard time putting that rod down.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.