Stabilizing Plates

• pyake

I recommended a stabilizing plate to a buddy of mine that wants to plane better at low speeds. He had some concerncs with stress cracks in the cavitation plate of the motor.

A few years ago I put a StingRay brand stabilizer on my 60HP mariner and loved it. Never had any issues with breakage. Thought I would bounce the question off of this forum to see if there are occasional problems???

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I have had them [different brand] on a 25hp, 40hp and a 50hp motor before without any problems. They helped get my boat up on plane and were problem free. Thanks, Bill

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’ve read the fine print on a couple stabilizers and they claim to NOT void the warranty on the motor. I had one on a 60 HP merc and it helped with the handling of the boat and didn’t show any signs of doing damage to the cavitation plate.

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

I put one on my 70hp Johnson 4 Stroke last Spring. It definitely enhances performance and heretofore problem free!
    Geronimo

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

I’m running one on a 150 Merc, no problems whatsoever. Lost a little top end, but planes in 1/2 the time, and handles much better!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.