4-Cycle Outboard Oils

• pyake

Coming up on my first oil change on my new Suzuki 90HP 4-stroke. Talking with the local Suzuki dealer, he definately favored using a Suzuki brand or Yamalube oil for the motor. He mentioned that there are anti foaming agents as well as corrosion protection for aluminum components in the motor.

I have always been a big fan of Mobile-1 for my vehicles, and although it is not branded as a marine type oil, they do make a 10W-40 oil for motorcycles that meet the SAE requirements that are stated in the owner’s manual for my outboard.

From a lubrication standpoint, what is different about a 4-stroke marine engine as opposed to any other small 4 stroke engine such as a motorcycle? What is everybody using for their choice of oils and why?

Thanks

gregmerz
    Minnetonka & Remer, MN

I like the full synthetic’s. I’m using Amsoil’s 0W-40 in my four stroke.

StaleMackrel

I use Amsoil in my Merc 90 four stroke. I think it makes starting easier in cold weather and I like it. In fact I use Amsoil lower unit gear lube and my impellar is going on the 5th season and is working great!

smokercraft

I run Suzuki oil and filters in my 140. Costs alittle more but I only need to change once a year anyway. Never have had any oil related problems.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.