Wiffle ball bat?

• Brian Robinson
    central Neb

I’m sure you’re asking already, what the….? Well, here’s the deal. I have a new kicker on the boat, and I changed seating in the boat so now I’m right in front of it and no longer using the extension handle. But I need just a little more length to make it so my arm doesn’t hurt after 10 hrs of trolling. I read years ago about pros using wiffle ball bats, cutting them to custom lengths and areas and taping them to the tiller handles to give them extra length. I may try this route, but thought I’d ask here first if anyone had a better idea. Have to be something sturdy yet a bit pliable at the same time.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

That thought crossed my mind, but I don’t think it would. Too stiff, too thick, and won’t conform to the tiller handle well at all. That’s the advantage the bat has.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I hear they make for good pee sticks too.

tbrooks11

I have used pvc pipe on my trolling motors and they did work better than i thought they would… not ideal however.

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

Don’t know what trolling motor you have but is it possible to try a Minnkota trolling motor extension handle…Cabela’s item IK 014110. Inside diameter of attachment end is 1.625″
    jim

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

FWIW

One of the Minnkota extension handles came with my current boat. Very flimsy and flexible, the connections between the numerous parts the handle was made from were very loose.

I was not a fan to say the least, others may differ.

Are you thinking of using a heat gun to warm the plastic then slide it up the tiller handle and let the bat mold to the tiller throttle? Sounds like a decent idea if the plastic is thick enough. If memory serves me well whiffle bats are thicker.

Break out the caliper and give us pics and a review after its done and tested.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Yup, that’s the idea. Didn’t think I’d need a heat gun, but I’ll definitely keep that in mind, could come in handy.
    I believe I forgot to mention I’m only needing about 6-12″, so an extension handle is gonna be way too long. I have one that I used on my old kicker, and I’m hoping to not need it again. I sat across the boat from the kicker and used the handle for a push/pull effect. Kinda taking some getting used to sitting right in front of the kicker now, but so far so good.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.