25hp Nissan tiller

• Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Had this motor given to me the other day because my “expertise could get it running again”. Well, I’m certainly no mechanic! But I don’t mind monkeying with it. My first question is, any idea on year? I’ve included a few pics of the motor and tag to help out. I have found a manual for it online already, but from what I could see, no year was included. 2nd question is getting it running. Guy hasn’t started it in a year or two, but when it ran, it ran fine. Aside from having to rev it up to get it in gear and keep it running. I’ve already taken the carb off, took it apart, ran it thru the part washer, etc, and it looks good. Going to clean the fuel delivery system out a bit further and see what happens from there. Any other ideas?

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Hi, according to this site:

Nissan

You have a 1992 25HP.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Very cool. Looks like one of the pages I missed while on that site. Appreciate it.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Personally, if you still have the carb off of it, I’d just put in a full carb kit now and cut to the chase. So much of doing a carb kit is getting it off, so if you have it off, you can totally overhaul the carb.

If you cleaned the carb, I’d put new plugs in her and give her a try with fresh fuel. May as well cut to the chase and see how she runs.

I’d do the water pump and the lower unit gear oil before any extended use. Check the gear oil for water.

Grouse

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Already slapped it back on after the parts washer. Parts looked good though, and so did the plugs. Worked on it the other night with my buddy, and after tighening up the fuel filter and getting a fresh mix of oily gas to it, I pulled and pulled….nothing. Didn’t act like it wanted to start. Then outta nowhere, it fired up and ran real well. Idled down, was able to put it in gear and the whole works. Still have a fuel problem to take care of that we narrowed it down to, and I think it’ll run real well.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Now, that being said, the other problem we have is this. The air/fuel mixture screw. My buddy is a carb guy and says that it’ll be a specific area where it needs to be, and should be written in a manual somewhere. He said turn it all the way in, then move it out 1 1/2 turns to start with. We were able to start the motor at 1, 1 1/2, and 2 turns out and seemed to run ok. Any word on getting this dialed in a bit better?

castle-rock-clown

When it comes to low speed screws I get the motor running and slowwwwwly turn it in till the motor runs rough or quits. I then back it out one half turn, refire the motor and slowwwwly back it out till the motor runs rough. Count the turns it takes between the two rough running settings and place it in the middle of the two. Example, half turn from seated to 3 turns from seated means 1 3/4 turns out from seated should be golden.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.