Chevy 5.3

• Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Bro-in-law had a 2006 Trailblazer with the 5.3 L motor in it. Long story short being that something went wrong with the valve lifters and cam shaft last week, for which he was quoted $6500 to repair. Is this a fairly common issue with these motors? He’s now got a nice 2011 Tahoe.

692fisherman
    champlin mn

if it was a oil pressure problem which it sounded like …… ya they have had oil pump issues… bad thing is the newer ones have a oil consumption problem also…if he got a 2011 he might be ok.

I have a 2008 Silverado with a 5.3 and it is the biggest piece of [censored] I have ever owned, and that’s coming from a die hard chevy man!!!!! I have no faith in gm trucks any more!!!

Ron Johnsen
    Platteville wi

Never had a problem with the 5.3 but I trade alot

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Huh, had an 04 silverado and now an 09, both with the 5.3 and between the 2 trucks for the last 10 years not 1 issue that wasn’t caused by a deer coming through the grill.

Not 1 issue period for that matter outside of aforementioned deer collision.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

Seams like a better deal to just get a new crate for that money. It will still be an old motor when you done.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

Seams like a better deal to just get a new crate for that money. It will still be an old motor when you done.

X2

The 5.3 engines were almost a bullet proof motor if maintained proper,my guess is that something internal went wrong, I have worked on those trucks with over 300 tho on them and they ran just fine

I wouldn’t spend a dime on yours if it is fact bad,by a GM crate engine

JMHO Jeff

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

He just traded it in on the Tahoe.

mojogunter

A friend of mine just got rid of his 2011 with 58k miles. It started using 2 quarts of oil to 500 miles. Dealer wasn’t sure what went wrong with it. They said they would have to tear into it. Then they gave a list of possible issues it could be that wouldn’t be covered by warrantee. He decided to just get rid of it rather than them tear into it only to be on the hook for the cost to repair that POS.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Well, I think his TB was terribly undersized for towing the 21′ Mastercraft w/ dual axle trailer, so at least he up-sized.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

5.3’s are solid but as with anything made there are going to be some problems eventually with some.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Well, I have no vested interest in it (I have a Toyota ); I was more curious if that was a known issue or if he just got unlucky. A destroyed engine in an 8-year old truck would really bother me. I’m surprised that he went back to GM, but he’s a little less high-strung than I am.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I don’t see how it could be a common problem and Chevy still enjoy the sales numbers they do.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.