Let’s Talk Kayaks

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I finally made the plunge or rather dipped my toe and got our first Kayak. I plan to have 2 but wanted to try out the entry level model first then decide if the second one should be something different. I got a 9 foot Fusion from [censored]. It looks like a happy medium between the short squatty ones and the long cigar shaped ones. I ordered a flush mount rod holder ($5) online yesterday so that it has that basic feature. Also trying to figure out what materials to buy so I can make a paddle holder. Anyways I’m just learning and wanted to bounce it off some experienced people before I get a second kayak. They will be used in river and lake. No big water. Any suggestions on style or features you’ve learned from experience? I am interested to hear anything Kayak. Thanks.

Joes
    St Paul, MN

Click Here. This event could be helpful to try a few options before you buy.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

There’s a kayak group Mike. Not sure how active it is.

I’ve often thought about renting one to paddle through the flooded woods around the Trimbel. Casting a spinner or something around the trees.

They sound like a hoot.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’m mostly excited about running the Namekagon in northern Wi. Parking it and wade fishing good spots. My wife wants to paddle our lake but that’s what outboard motors are for.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Here at work so I can’t get too wordy right now. I love fishing from my kayak.

Nine foot is short for paddleing. I 12 or 14 footer will glide and track much better. I like a 26 to 28 inch max width. Too narrow gets too tippy for fishing and too wide gets less efficient to paddle.

A system for anchoring from each end is good ,very good. Google “kayak anchor systems” and you will see your options.

Most of the time while I am fishing I just lay my paddle across my lap so it is quick and handy.

Oh ya, all my experience and comments are based from fishing in a “sit in” kayak. I have no experience with a “sit on top”. A sit on top or a large cockpit may be a good choice if you are getting in and out a bunch, as in fishing, floating and wading shallow rivers.

b-mac
    Hudson, WI

For fishing and stability, you will want something in the 12-14 foot range. I am also a firm believer in you get what you pay for.

This is what I have currently. I can stand and cast or flip all day and land most fish without having to sit. It is a bit heavy (~70lbs) and not as fast as a touring model, but you lose speed with stability.

Cuda 12

If you plan on some river trips, I would suggest an anchor system or look at a Park N Pole. I have an 6 footer that is great for digging in the sand and holding me in place.

It is a Sit On Top with a comfortable seat that makes a world of difference after a 5 hour float down the Croix or Nam.

I added a Lowrance Elite 4X this spring as well. Can never have too many bells and whistles.

FryDog62

If I could afford it I would buy the Hobie with Mirage foot pedals. Closest thing to hands free kayaking so you can fish without constant paddling, adjusting, steering. But then again…. $2500

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Would you wear your waders paddling? Sounds dangerous if you were to tip?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

http://www.wildernesssystems.com/pages/index/products/kayak_selector?fishing=on

Definitely look at the Pungo Angler for fishing!

Great tracking keel design.

Cool site! I like at lest 3 on there so far! Looks like I may have to adjust my price range. I wasn’t ready to spend a grand or more on one. I see the ones you sit on top have holes in the bottom. Does that necessarily mean wet feet every time you use it? Are they tippy?

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

It looks like most of the kayaks have a beam of 28″-32″. My guess is they’ll all feel pretty stable. To give you some reference most sea kayaks are 21″-23″. The best advice is to see if you can test them out. I know there’s been kayak sales events in the area that will allow you a “test drive”. They’re probably more geared to sea and recreational but If somebody like a Joe’s participates in them you might be able to request some models. Looking into rentals might also be possible.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Joe’s replied to this post. I think I will be attending one of their events.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Also check out Midwest Mountaineering. They definitely have demo events. More Sea & Whitewater but I saw Fishing Kayaks on their website so they may have some models you can try. At least to get a feel of some different kayaks.

b-mac
    Hudson, WI

Joes and Midwest Mountaineering both have good selections of Fishing Kayaks. I went with Midwest because they carried Jackson’s at the time I bought mine.

The holes in the Sit On Top models are called Scupper Holes. You don’t typically get wet feet from them unless you are in choppy water than the general motion might push up some water. You can also buy scupper plugs to plug them up, but that also means water will not drain out once inside.

Stability on the Sit On Tops is pretty good but it obviously comes with practice. Initially I was hesitant
    to stand at all, then I stood occasionally and now I can do most fishing movements while standing.

I even got this little fellow last weekend while flipping a jig into a tree. That was a fun fight in a kayak.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

Joes and Midwest Mountaineering both have good selections of Fishing Kayaks. I went with Midwest because they carried Jackson’s at the time I bought mine.

The holes in the Sit On Top models are called Scupper Holes. You don’t typically get wet feet from them unless you are in choppy water than the general motion might push up some water. You can also buy scupper plugs to plug them up, but that also means water will not drain out once inside.

Stability on the Sit On Tops is pretty good but it obviously comes with practice. Initially I was hesitant
    to stand at all, then I stood occasionally and now I can do most fishing movements while standing.

I even got this little fellow last weekend while flipping a jig into a tree. That was a fun fight in a kayak.

The fish was in a tree?!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Hobie Pro Fisherman…like sitting in a lawn chair.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

If you wanna know ANYthing about a kayak, there’s really only one option in my mind. Get ahold of my friend Marty at KAYAKJAK and he’ll be able to answer any question you have. He’s very knowledgeable about every aspect of kayaking, and specifically fishing from a kayak. He recently fished a big catfish tourny with some big boys and finished 3rd….from his kayak. The guy knows what he’s talkin about.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Forgot to mention, he also guides and sells kayaks, so there’s a good chance he can give you a recommendation and possibly get one to you too. Just have to visit with him.

kpredator

agree with jon boy about wilderness systems ,bought a wife a pun go
    and it is great kayak.i use a one man oldtown canoe myself .only 43 lbs
    carry the tents,sleeping bags,cooler when we kayak camp.
    really look at the wilderness “hybrid type” kayak.
    spend the money ,as a cheap kayak will hurt your back and your azz
    good luck
    kp

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Quote:

Quote:

http://www.wildernesssystems.com/pages/index/products/kayak_selector?fishing=on

Definitely look at the Pungo Angler for fishing!
    Great tracking keel design.

Cool site! I like at lest 3 on there so far! Looks like I may have to adjust my price range. I wasn’t ready to spend a grand or more on one. I see the ones you sit on top have holes in the bottom. Does that necessarily mean wet feet every time you use it? Are they tippy?

http://baycityhardware.com/KAYAK_RENTALS_RPDK.html

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.