75hp vs 70 hp tillers

• jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

On the 16.5′ to 17′ or a little longer, 90″ to 95″ wide aluminum tillers that are rated max hp 75. Would the 70hp Yamaha be the better choice because of the weight difference? I’ve been hearing the new 70 is the cats meow.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

On the 16.5′ to 17′ or a little longer, 90″ to 95″ wide aluminum tillers that are rated max hp 75. Would the 70hp Yamaha be the better choice because of the weight difference? I’ve been hearing the new 70 is the cats meow.

Lots of positive reviews for the 70. The weight/power ratio makes it just as good if not better than the 75 in certain conditions.

FryDog62

If you need low-end grunt the 75 is the way to go. Top end speed might be similar because of the weight difference. The only knock I’ve heard is the 70 will vibrate a little more too, but I have the 60 and don’t know about the 70 first hand.

josh-markell1
    on the water

I have a 17’crestliner tiller with a 75 merc efi and I have asked two different dealers the same question also with the idea or reducing weight. Both said I will be happier with what I have. Vibration while trolling was mentioned by both dealers.

travp
    Blaine , Mn

I bought a 2009 Alumacraft Navigator 2 weeks ago, with a 75hp Yamaha tiller. It’s 91″ wide. NO way would I want anything less for hp! What are you going to gain from it? .5mpg? My 75 trolls down to 1.5-1.7 in forward and under 1mph in reverse.

haleysgold
    SE MN

I have a 1775T Skeeter. I just traded my Yamaha 2000 80 HP for a new Yamaha 2014 70 HP EFI. I also added power steering and love it!
    Anyhow, the new 70 has as much power, probably more than the carb. 80 had. I also get about 2-3 miles more top end speed. It has the VTS so I can run the RPM’s way down and get whatever trolling speed I want.
    Yamaha doesn’t make anything between the 70 and 90 HP.
    Overall, I’m super happy with 70 HP EFI motor. Purrs like a kitten.

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Quote:

I have a 1775T Skeeter. I just traded my Yamaha 2000 80 HP for a new Yamaha 2014 70 HP EFI. I also added power steering and love it!

Anyhow, the new 70 has as much power, probably more than the carb. 80 had. I also get about 2-3 miles more top end speed. It has the VTS so I can run the RPM’s way down and get whatever trolling speed I want.

It’s my understanding Titan power steering is no longer available and the Mercury is the only tiller you can get power steering on. Am I wrong, I hope?

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

Quote:

It’s my understanding Titan power steering is no longer available and the Mercury is the only tiller you can get power steering on. Am I wrong, I hope.

If you dig and look long enough, you might be able to find a leftover one for a Yamaha. My uncle found one two summers ago. Don’t expect to get a deal on it though.

FDR

haleysgold
    SE MN

jighead, I replied to your PM.

Quote:
    They make a 75 hp. http://www.yamahaoutboards.com/outboards/Midrange/specifications

I find that HARD to believe. I went thru a local Yamaha dealer and had 2 options. 70 HP and 90 HP, that’s it or I probably would have went with the 75 HP since my boat was rated for an 80.

FYI…my local dealer was able to get me a Mertens PS and it is expensive…very. BUT…I love it and it is a “full” Power Steering and if you’ve ever went cross wise in big waves…hanging on to a tiller is tough on my shoulder. This thing is so sweet…don’t know how I ever got along without it. IMO.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

haleysgold, sent you a PM.

Thanks, HRG

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Quote:

Quote:

Lots of positive reviews for the 70. The weight/power ratio makes it just as good if not better than the 75 in certain conditions.

This is one of the rare instances where Yamaha has performance reports for both the F70 & F75 on the same hull. Other than top end, the F70 is quicker to plane and more efficient.

http://www.yamahaoutboards.com/sites/default/files/bulletins/ALM_Voyageur175Tiller_F70LA_2013-09-10_ALM.pdf

http://www.yamahaoutboards.com/sites/default/files/bulletins/ALM_Voyageur175Tiller_F75LA_2013-05-29_ALM.pdf

HRG

gtaggart

Yamaha does make a 75hp four stroke. I just bought a new 2013 this summer. It’s a great motor.

manselmo07
    Hudson WI

I also purchased a brand new F75 this fall.

haleysgold
    SE MN

ok, Sorry guys, I was wrong.

I just called my dealer…and had to ask what motor I bought.

I did buy a 75 HP not a 70 HP…which really makes me feel dumb.

I think he told me that I wouldn’t notice a difference dropping 5 HP, in fact, I’d be gaining because of new technologies and the EFI.

So anyhow, I love my “75” HP Yamaha !!

I coulda swore it said 70 on the side of the motor last time I looked…must mean I need to go fishing soon !!

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

I think he told me that I wouldn’t notice a difference dropping 5 HP, in fact, I’d be gaining because of new technologies and the EFI.

I coulda swore it said 70 on the side of the motor last time I looked…must mean I need to go fishing soon !!

Ha ha ha. Now that is funny. Clearly you are not spending enough time in the boat.

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Quote:

Now that takes a real man to fess up to this, he wouldn’t have had to say a word. Don’t know if I could have done it. It is pretty darn funny too

oldpal

Another advantage of the 75HP is for about $600 (two parts – Silencer Assy.$95, ECU $515) you can convert the 75HP to a 90 HP.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.