Mille Lacs antenna choice

• Jim K
    Mpls, Mn

I want to get a marine radio but don’t want to install a permanent 8′ antenna in my small boat. My main purpose would be to monitor the weather channel and for help if I break down. Is anyone having luck with a short storable antenna? If so, what brand-model and where did you get it?

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Hey Jim, I have a 3 foot steel in my tiller boat. works fine for me on Mille lacs. I have a 8 footer on top of the roof also……I think I am now seeing more guys with shorter 3 footers than the 8 foot ones. I am able to talk to most areas of the lake. I do get channel 5 on weather station in Aitkin,Mn. real good if you want to monitor weather. Check out the Cabelas catalog they have acouple of short models to look at!

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I also use a 3 foot and get channel 5 very clear on the southend of the lake.

Jim K
    Mpls, Mn

Thanks fellas, I appreciate the input. I can’t get up to the big pond as much as I’d like to, so I just can’t see putting an eight footer on my boat. If I can get the weather channel and have a shot at flagging down someone half way close if I get stranded that would be great.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I have broken 2 8 footers on take off from tournaments on Mille Lacs! I am going smaller on my next boat.
    Tuck

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

How did you break them during a take-off Tuck? I’m guessing crossing boat wakes at higher speeds?? With that new tiller of yours, you should be able to mount them closer to the back of the boat and then they don’t whip as much.

I’ve got an 8 ft Shakespeare fiberglass and always forget the darn thing is up when I go under bridges. It’s 8 years old and so far hasn’t broken.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

The 8 footers are nice for the coverage on big water, but a litle clumsy on the boat. I have learned to live with it due to the coverage I get with it.
    I have yet to break an 8 foot antenna mounted on the stainless mounts.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’m running the 3ft antenna and didn’t have any issues with the weather channel when I was on the pond for opener. I was able to hear talking from Malmo down past Big Point.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I recently went from an 8 footer to a 4 footer. I now have the Shakespeare Galaxy 5400 XT. Darn nice antenna, but spendy at $89.99. I can easily talk to anyone on the lake who has a decent antenna. It appears to work as well as my old 8 footer.

If you just want the weather channel, a 3 inch antenna on a hand-held will do the trick. They kick out a huge signal from the regional towers. Anything will pick up that signal.

Probaly the best theing to do is monitor (Scan) all of the channels. If a big storm is headed to the lake the chatter will pick up. Momma in the cabin who is watching the weather channel will usually be giving Papa a call to get off the lake. (Keep an ear on 68)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.