Wondering about side imaging on the sonars……..

• iowa roger
    North central Iowa

Been comparing the DI and SI imaging fishfinders, wondering which ones really show the underwater images.
    I read someplace where you can see the fish and your bait on some of ’em.If true, I am trying not to break the bank.
    Also, do ya use the GPS a lot, being an old geez just wondering how hard it is to learn to use this stuff.

Inquiring mind wants to know.
    Any input is appreciated.

Iowa Roger

mcrew
    zumbrota,mn

I don’t know much about di or si but as far as gps it is simple to work the basic setting that you need. I think I would feel lost with out it.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Me personnel I use 2D and SI I very seldom use DI because SI will give me more information then DI ever could.

GPS if fishing strictly bank type situations GPS not really needed but fishing lakes with a lot of structure away from the bank it is a must have. With the new HD maps on new water a MUST have not only to find fish holding structure but safe navigation.

adam-bartusek
    New Prague, MN

They all will show what you have described (Bait, Structure, Fish) but most of the time it’s just a matter of the size of screen you are buying. Personally I use the Humminbird ci hd DI, which only has down imaging. I absolutely love it for finding structure especially hard bottom. It’s incredibly easy to disquish the bottom and bait fish as well. When I find these structures I will then switch to a normal sonar to see the balls of bait and fish easier.

I also have to say SI is incredible for eliminating water. When I’ve fished in other boats with SI we will stop randomly sometimes just to graph an area and see if there is anything there. Even with DI it would take a half hour to do an area that took us 5 min to scan. SI is definitely worth the money.

I personally recommend Humminbird because they are cheaper and work amazing in the DI/SI categories.

Jim Kissinger
    Markesan WI

Adam is right there is a learning curve but ou will like it once you get to use it. My first time use of side was in the spring going close to shore and I saw all there round spots then I realize those were gill beds I use it 90% now would no be without oh by the way im older then ghizzer lol

Ron
    Victoria, mn

SI is very useful. You’ll see rocks, logs, weedbeds, individual fish and baitfish balls that otherwise you wouldn’t notice. I find DI less useful, but my Bird is several years old and they have improved DI since then.

On the waters I fish, GPS is also very useful. I can follow a contour with it, and easily find humps, reefs, flats, breaklines, etc. The mappping software that is installed in the unit is only a little better than etch-a-sketch quality. You will need a good map card to get the most value out of the GPS feature, so figure that cost into your budget. Do your research on the lakes you fish and find the best map card for the lakes you fish. You want “high definition”, which means 1-foot contour lines, or sometimes 3-foot.

lonewolf
    La Crosse, WI

GPS is a must on the river. I can do without everything else on a depth finder except GPS. Troll a wingdam and the next time you’re out and you can’t see the wingdam you can still troll them. Or if you casting them you don’t have to look for them. I also put waypoints above wingdams to position the boat for casting them. GPS is absolute must for fishing lakes in Northern MN and lakes like the Petenwell Flowage. I have had SI for only a year, so still learning, but see alot of interesting stuff on the wingdams. But can’t say it has put more fish in the boat yet.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.