What is the expected life of most sonar units ?

• iowa roger
    North central Iowa

It seems there is unlimited amount of bells and whistles that are available on these electronic units.
    I guess I am wondering if these things just go obsolete or do they wear out so to speak.
    I see some pretty primative ones still being used, on the other hand some of the more sophisticated ones folks have problems with.
    Maybe they are like the rest of the mechanical and electonic devices including our motor vehicles. It is mind boggling all the bells and whistles that are hung on them.
    We love ’em when they are working but are a headache when they act up.
    Gone are the days of repairing with a pair of pliers and baling wire.

Thanks for reading my rant.

Iowa Roger

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

I have a Clearwater Classic from that has to be at least 25 years old and still works. Have and FL8 that is 15 years old and works great yet. I use this on the bow of my boat only. It used to be my wife’s ice fishing flasher until my sons gave my the LX6 and now she uses the LX5. Also have an LX5 that is probably 5 years old and works well. One year old LX6 that is awesome. Have a Lowrance on my boat that is 12 years old and works just fine. Most of my electronics are “flasher” style, but I would really like to upgrade the Lowrance on my boat. Any suggestions for under 1000 would be great.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

I believe Reeds has the Lowrance HDS7 Gen2 on sale for around $750. Great deal if your still looking to stay under $1k

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Been averaging a couple of years out of mine lately before needing repairs. My old Lawrance had the gps puck go out at about two years. My Humminbird now ois having GPS issues and looks like its getting sent in for repair. Hummingbird has a flat rate $200 fee for that.

Next time I buy Ill be looking for extended warranties if they are available. Electronics just dont seem very reliable nowadays.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

This is a really good question. I’m still using ‘primitive’ equipment myself, but I sure do trust what it’s telling me. I’m using a 332c and a 510c, both Lowrance units, and they’re wonderful. I combine those with a new DSI5 from Lowrance, and it works real well. But, I’ll admit, I’m jonesing bad for side imaging. Interesting to see what else is added here.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.