Oil Change Kit

• smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

Bought an oil change kit for my F150 Yamaha. One the side of the box, it shows the motor takes 4.8 quarts of oil. The owners manual has 5.5. 4.8 only brings the oil to the bottom line on the oil stick. Called the dealer and they said to go my the owners manual. The 4.8 also says with filter so that’s not it. Wonder why so much difference??

saddletramp

Are both referring to quarts, or is one liters?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’d run it a bit and then fill according to the dip stick, if it were mine.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

X2 on what Ralph said.

I’d change the oil and filter, then start it long enough to fill the filter, then shut it down. It only takes a few seconds of running. Check you oil level and add as needed.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

X2 on what Ralph said.

I’d change the oil and filter, then start it long enough to fill the filter, then shut it down. It only takes a few seconds of running. Check you oil level and add as needed.

I have a Yammie 115, I put in 4 qts then run , then fill according to the dipsick.

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

It is referring to quarts. I did fill and start several times. Had the water hooked up to it. Filled so that it was about half way up the Full/Low mark and will check again after I run it and the motor is warm. Seems like at the end of the year, it is always way above the fill mark.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Quote:

Seems like at the end of the year, it is always way above the fill mark.

If the motor has sat idle for any length of time the oil galleries can drain out and give you a false reading. Run the motor for a few seconds to fill everything that is supposed to carry oil and then check it.

chamre68
    Moorhead, MN

I have a f115 also. I was told by two dealers to fill the 4.8 or so. These motors “make” a little oil over the course of the summer. I know that sounds odd but it’s what happens. Mine is 12 years old and runs like a top. Every year it ends up a little over full. A couple of YouTube videos say the same thing.

jon_wbl

Run it just long enough to fill the filter then wait a few minutes and check it with the dipstick.
    Make sure the engine is level with the ground as well. That can make a difference on the reading.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.