Mercury audible warning

• Nate Siebrecht
    Oronoco, mn

Hey guys, I have an issue with my 1999 mercury 90 2 stroke. My audible warning is constantly buzzing. The oil tank is full and a newer water impeller no issues with that. So I checked the block temp sender that doesn’t shut it off by unplugging that tan blue wire. So I unplugged the tan blue wire coming off the oil tank and shuts off the buzzer. So my prediction is my oil level sender is at fault. Or is there something else at fault that I need to check before ordering a new tank? Thanks

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I had the same happen last year with my ’01 90 hp.

SOMETIMEs you can get them to work by putting some gas in the oil tank and sloshing it around (I was told by Westend Marine in Red Wing) but I figured by the time I pulled the tank off and did that, I could have the new tank on and out fishing.

Brace for sticker shock.

FYI I did try the gas trick later on and used a vom to see if it worked…it didn’t.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

Do you have a remote oil tank and the tank on the motor? Did you run the remote oil tank low? If you did, fill the oil tank on the motor full right to the top, I mean full right to the top. You don’t need to loose much oil at all form that tank to have the alarm sound.

bassn7
    Bruce,WI

If it’s like my 2001 the cover unsrews and you can run the float up and down to ckeck operation with a ohm meter or leave it hooked up to see if the horn will turn on & off
    Stan

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

I had the same happen last year with my ’01 90 hp.

SOMETIMEs you can get them to work by putting some gas in the oil tank and sloshing it around (I was told by Westend Marine in Red Wing) but I figured by the time I pulled the tank off and did that, I could have the new tank on and out fishing.

Brace for sticker shock.

FYI I did try the gas trick later on and used a vom to see if it worked…it didn’t.

PS I believe it’s a brown wire below the oil tank. Disconnect it and it will shut off if it is a bad oil sensor.

Nate Siebrecht
    Oronoco, mn

I just took the tank out drained the oil the float is sticking. I’m going order a new tank tomorrow thanks guys!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.