Best Trolling Deep Cycle Battery

• brycenannenga1
    Dubuque Ia

I have gone through many batteries in my days on the water.
    I’ve gone through 3 Optima blue top in less then 3 yrs each, 3 Northern in the same time frame. I have a interstate starting battery that seams to be holding up pretty good. Bottom line its that time again. What brand have you found to be the best?

mikes-jigs
    Red Wing, MN

We have always had good luck with Interstate batteries. Many people may say go cheap they wont last. We did that one year and went through two Runnings generic brand batteries. Stick with a good, brand name battery.

dbright
    Cambridge

My cheap fleet farm brand battery is on it’s 4th yr. I fish more then most.

igotone

Cabela’s AGM’s

I have had my 1st set since 2005 – stilling going
    got another set for my other boat last year – I like “em”
    group 27 here

they have group 24 on sale right now for half price
    AGM batterys

mike-west
    Amery, WI

This is my 7th year on my Optima Series D31’s. Run as 24 volt on trolling and still act as almost new with little loss. I also run 2 34M Optimas in Parallel as my 12 volt starting and Assesories. I did recently lose one of those, but again, 7th season in second boat.
    When it’s time to change, I’m seriously looking into Sears deep cycle’s. Heard great things, but also expensive.

castle-rock-clown

Blaine’s or Mill’s Duration 31 series agm. Mine is a whore, it gets used in a kayak and one boat as a trolling motor battery, one boat as a starting / trolling battery, and in my truck camper for powering lights, heater , circulating fan, refrigerator, and inverter. I charge it with a NOCO Genius charger.

eyesfishin
    Somerset, WI

Quote:

Cabela’s AGM’s

I have had my 1st set since 2005 – stilling going
    got another set for my other boat last year – I like “em”
    group 27 here

they have group 24 on sale right now for half price
    AGM batterys

X2

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

From what I have seen, heard and read you can buy expensive batteries and expect to get a long service life or you can buy cheaper ones and possibly get good battery life. I think the key is maintenance. Take good care of them and keep them charged and they can last. I’ve been kind of tied into Napa batts the last several years because the return policy is so good I get a good credit on ones that don’t last. I used to swear by Exide Nautilus.

stevenoak

I have two Optima blue tops in my boat between 8-10 years old. Stored in a unheated building every winter that still work fine. Do you run a on board charger to maintain full charge year around. A lot of things can kill a battery before their time. Also possible the newer ones are not as good.

fishin
    Blaine, MN

I have used Trojan a while ago and did not like them. I switched to the Cabela’s batteries and they seem like a very good battery for the money. I have very little issue with them.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

I’ve been having great luck with the deep cycle batteries from O’Reilly Auto Parts. I always buy the 31 series batteries. I’ve had them in 3 boats now and have not ever been let down with them. They can handle a lot of abuse. I’m on the water over 175 days a year and I easily get 3 seasons out of them.

FYI- I use only Minn Kota Digital chargers in my boats. I believe they are the best chargers out there for the money and they are a key factor in battery care for the long term.

brian_j

Quote:

I’ve gone through 3 Optima blue top in less then 3 yrs each, 3 Northern in the same time frame.

If I’m reading that right it sounds like you’ve gone through 6 batteries in less than 6 years – is this on one boat? If so then I’d say there is something wrong with your electronics or motor.

jd318
    NE Nebraska

2 Optima Blue Top batteries going on 10 years. My starter/electronics battery (not Optima) however, I’m on my fourth one.

jim-c
    Minot, ND

A guy I sold a boat to in 2003 just replaced the Optima batteries in the boat this spring- with more Optima batteries. If you are having longevity issues with Optima’s I’d take a look at your charger/charging system. Only Optima’s for me…

Jim Carroll NPAA #13

KirtH
    Lakeville

I have been using Optima’s since 07 and have not had an issue. I would look at how you are charging them and care. The Optima website is very informative on batteries and care of

jac714

I use Diehards. They last about 5 years and cost about a hundred bucks, $20 per year seems pretty good to me.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.