Yamaha and Stainless Prop

• zach_bindert
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Does anybody else’s motor make strange noises when shifting into gear and sometimes at idle speeds? I have a Turbo stainless prop and a Yamaha aluminum prop. The aluminum prop is quiet when shifting the stainless makes a terrible klunk klunk sound until you speed up, Then it disappears. After you speed up you can bring it back to idle with out the sound. I have heard this is normal, but it doesn’t sound normal.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Just had issues with the trim tab on mine. It came loose with trying a new prop. Not a clunk but more of a rattle.

zach_bindert
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Mine sounds like it is coming through the motor, but only with the stainless.

Bryan Myers

Ya it’s normal. It’s caused from the weight of the prop, which makes it rotate faster than the propshaft is trying to spin so then you hear the clutch rattle. It’s nothing new its just the quieter four strokes make it easily heard. Yamaha has props now with a shift dampener built in to them so you don’t hear the clutch rattle, if your looking for a way to get rid of the noise but keep the stainless performance!

zach_bindert
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

The worst part is the performance isn’t any better, I am 2 miles an hour slower. I spent $250 on this stupid thing and I couldn’t return it which I understand, but I want to try and salvage something but I can’t stand that sound.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

The worst part is the performance isn’t any better, I am 2 miles an hour slower. I spent $250 on this stupid thing and I couldn’t return it which I understand, but I want to try and salvage something but I can’t stand that sound.

Sounds like the wrong stainless prop or a cheaper one with crappy rake & cupping. My brother-n-law bought a merc prop that had what I call Mickey mouse ears for blades. About 10 mph difference between a tuned prop and a generic blade. unfortunately, good props come with $$$ and sometimes that’s a hard one to be willing to spend the money on.
    On my Yamaha, I have a M-23 modified prop that gets me every bit of performance I could ask for. Fuel efficiency, speed, and hole shot. In contrast, i picked up a Ballistic Merc prop as a spare. Unreal to see the fuel efficiency difference. Almost like the gremlins are dumping the gas out by the bucket full.

zach_bindert
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I thought $250 was a lot of money, I guess if it cost $500 to get one that performs right the hell with that. I will stick with the Aluminum. I like going fast but the motor is only a 75hp so I wasn’t expecting a huge difference but I thought it would be at least the same.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.