Mercury Optimax vs Yamaha 4 Stroke

• elk_addict
    Northern IA/Lincoln Lakes Area

I realize this is like a chevy vs ford question but would really appreciate everyones thoughts. I have a 1991 1775 Crestliner Viking tiller with a 1992 Mercury 75 hp. I have looked and looked at new boats but just cannot bring myself to spend $25 – $30 K for a new boat. Mine is in great shape, has great cockpit depth, etc.
    My Mercury motor has been nearly trouble free for 22 years. I have had to replace a couple trim/tilt selenoids and the neutral switch, pretty good performance in my book.
    I want to get a new motor, mainly for fuel economy and the ability to get troll control, plus nothing last forever.
    I do not like the gigantic size of the Mercury 4 strokes so am looking at either a Mercury Optimax with big tiller handle or a Yamaha F75 with the troll control tiller. I would really like to hear from anyone who has used both and opinions on which is the better motor. I have done quite a bit of research on line and found some comparison data. I have also heard poor quality issues with Mercury, my experience shows otherwise. Which 75 HP tiller would you choose between these two?

chubby
    Bloomington

As someone who has worked in the marine industry for almost 20 years and has seen the reliability based on the usage of many thousands of outboards from every manufacturer the choice is clear

Yamaha or Suzuki

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I have a f90 tiller love it ran many opti max dad has a 175. Yammi is much better on fuel and quiter. If I was buying a larger motor more than 115 I would buy the opti.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

In a 75 I would always say to go with the 4 stroke. I love optis for 115 and up, but an opti has a pretty loud growl when wide open also. Also, the Yamaha has the variable throttle on the tiller. You’d need smart craft guages to get a merc to idle down.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Quote:

You’d need smart craft guages to get a merc to idle down.

No you don’t, you can get the troll control switch right on the tiller handle, just like Yamaha.

One think to consider is if you have any interest in the Mertens “Titan” steering assist product. They have ceased production of the unit for Yamaha motors, only what is left in dealer stock is what is available. The “new” Mercury Big Tiller-Titan system will be shown at the NW Sports Show this weekend in MPLS, if you’d like to see it.
    I ran a 75 Opti/Big Tiller for 3 years, and honestly enjoyed the growl. But, if you are a troller, a 4-cylinder 4-stroke is probably smoother.

HRG

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

Thanks for the clarification. I like mercs in general, but wasn’t aware they had that feature on the tiller arm now.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Quote:

Thanks for the clarification. I like mercs in general, but wasn’t aware they had that feature on the tiller arm now.

No problem. Here’s a link to the 2-page Big Tiller handle flyer, the rpm switch is just to the right of the shifter handle base. Big Tiller flyer

HRG

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

If it is Merc vs. Yammi. I say Yammi 100%. Of course that is becuase Merc’s customer service is less than acceptable. Dad has been very happy with his 75hp 4-stroke Merc.

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

I have a new 2013 Yamaha F75 with Tim Merten’s (Enginsteer Corp) PTS on it (power tiller steering). It’s a dream to operate (easy/no effort) and I’d recommend the PTS over the Titan (non powered) steering although the Titan certainly takes the torque steer out of the equation. I believe Al’s Specialty in Rochester might have a kit or two in stock for the Yamaha F75 or F90. The PTS is a 2 finger operation, no matter what speed or situation.

amundsonjon
    wi

get the four stroke yamaha. Nice to be able to hear while motor is running. Other anglers will apreciate it also as they won’t have to listen to that merc. Its bad when an optimax starts up 100yds away and you have to wait till they pass to resume conversation in your own boat.

elk_addict
    Northern IA/Lincoln Lakes Area

Thank you for all your responses, they are appreciated. It is very apparent that Yamaha is what I need to get.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I would look at Suzuki too. Features similar to Yamaha, prices similar to Merc. Yes, they have the RPM troll control just like Yamaha.

I look at Suzuki and I can’t see any downsides. Especially with the warranty extending deals they’ve offered.

Grouse

onestout
    Hudson, WI

The only downfall to Suzuki that I have heard is the limited dealers (that and he gets to fish more then me).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.