St. Croix Rage Rods

• splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

Possibly looking to install a new Revo Gen3 STX on one. For those that have one, would you care to offer a user opinion? I’m not stuck on any specific brand of rod, just this price range (125 to 175). I’ve held one (Rage) and like the feel, just looking for other users thoughts. Thanks.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I am curious to how they cast as well with the micro guides. I got one with the promo 610mxf and love how it feels similar to you, but skeptical how it will pitch lures with those tiny guides.

castle-rock-clown

I’ve got an Elk River 6′ spinning rod with Shimano 1000 loaded with 8lb flouro. This rod has Minima guilds and at first I purchased this setup for vertical jigging. Much to my amazement this thing casts wonderfully. Excellent feel and control with anything from 1/4oz to 3/8oz jiggs.

kris_brantner
    My river

I have 2 7’6″ mhm that i use for flipping. I broke one twice and the other one once last yr. I like em… but they are junk. Ive seen rods in the store where the eyes are so far off you can see them with the naked eye. For that price range get an avid. They are not hencho en mexico like the rages are

DrewH
    s/w WI.

Quote:

I have 2 7’6″ mhm that i use for flipping. I broke one twice and the other one once last yr. I like em… but they are junk. Ive seen rods in the store where the eyes are so far off you can see them with the naked eye. For that price range get an avid. They are not hencho en mexico like the rages are

Geez I just ordered my second legend extreme and hoped to accept a free Rage rod on a promotion. Maybe I will pass on the freebie and check with St Croix on the problems with their rod quality.

kris_brantner
    My river

A few of my friends also had problems last year with the rages breaking. Im returning another one next time i go to scheels. The blank didnt break this time… the reel seat is junk on this one. Set the hook and the seat moves up three or for threads and the reel comes loose. I should just sell them and upgrade

splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

Thanks for the review Kris. Actually, the things you are saying are not that different from what I’ve read elsewhere on other sites (many times). I think I’ll shy-away from this this model.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.