1972 Chrysler 50hp

• Dream’n
    South St. Paul, Mn

I own a 1972 Chrysler 50hp on my 18′ Lund. It ran/started great last summer except one thing. While accelerating the motor would kick once or twice, almost like it was hitting a rock or stump. Once it got to full speed it would run perfect. I had the lower unit looked at and it was in perfect shape. Anyone have an idea before it goes to the shop?
    Thanks Dream’n

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

My guess is that the clutch dog is worn. How thorough was the lower unit inspection?

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Post deleted by dandorn

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Did you hit anything? Sounds like either a clutch dog or a spun hub on your prop. If they really went through the LU, take look at the prop.

Take a crayon or marker and draw matching lines on the LU to the prop hub. Take it out and reproduce the problem. Look at the marks, and if they don’t match up, your hub is spun and you need it re-pressed.

Good luck!

chrossa
    Arcadia, WI

Did it make any noise when it jumped? It could have been a hide speed miss in the engine that will make the motor jump like you hit something.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

Did it make any noise when it jumped? It could have been a hide speed miss in the engine that will make the motor jump like you hit something.

That’s what I was thinking. Had same issue with a early 90’s 40hp Johnson. Power Pack was going and would miss fire on occasion. Felt like a hard bump when it happened.

-J.

Dream’n
    South St. Paul, Mn

It definately makes noise when it happens, i have never hit anything but imagine that hitting a dead head would be similar to what is happening as it jumps a bit.
    Thanks again everyone.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’m still getting over the shock that you have a 72 Chrysler outboard that runs!

Does it start easy everytime? I remember using a lot of ether on those things.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Quote:

I’m still getting over the shock that you have a 72 Chrysler outboard that runs!

If you take care of an old two-stroke, it can pretty much run indefinitely.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

I was thinking it, but you said it.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Quote:

If you take care of an old two-stroke, it can pretty much run indefinitely.

I’ve heard that about everything but a Chrysler…

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Post deleted by Suzuki

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

What.. Lee Iacocca built it with his bare hands!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

What.. Lee Iacocca built it with his bare hands!

In 1972 Lee Iacocca was building Pinto’s at Ford.

-J.

Dream’n
    South St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

I can’t believe how fast it fires some days, you would think it was brand new! Its been well maintained by the looks of it! I will admit though, it does not like cold weather.

castle-rock-clown

Be kind to the old motors, I run a ’61 Johnson V4 with dual downdraft carb and magneto ignition. It pushes the ’65 Sea Ray runnabout around just fine. I hope the used Tuffy with 150 Verado I bought lasts 1/2 as long.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

By the standards of the day, Chrysler outboards were good outboards. They never had the dealer network of Merc or OMC, so they suffered somewhat in that regard.

The #1 killer of old outboards wasn’t bad quality, it was bad owners. Just the same as it is today. The vast majority of outboard problems are caused by lack of use, lack of maintainance, and owner abuse.

The Chrysler, with use and proper maintainance, could run well for a century. Many of today’s outboards will be lucky to last a quarter of that.

Grouse

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.