winch ?

• sharptailer
    IGH, MN

My winch self released on the ramp Sunday so I’m looking for a new one. Should I look at 2x,3x or..? the weight of the load. Any brands to stay away from? My son and I got into a school of white bass in the 15-16″ range. Blade baits and plastics caught fish.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

What size boat? Ended up buying threw winch’s last spring to get one that worked. There is some real crap out there.

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Fulton is the best there is.

Dog

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Which Fulton? They make a lot of them. Think it was a 1500# that I bought for my 17′ boat with rollers. Gears didnt make it a single trip and I power load for the most part. That was bigger than the original winch to.

After buying one from the boat department at Fleet Farm and another from Northern Handymen I ended up finding a good one in the trailer department at Fleet farm. Cant remember the name. Think it started with “L”. It is a ugly brown color. Gears are 4 wide. Not the cheap single or double gear like on the other winches. There are also some winches with gears on both sides. They looked pretty decent.

dbright
    Cambridge

I bought a Atwood from ff two summers ago and lasted all of a week before the gears went. I bought a 1500lb for my old 16ft jon. I would stay away from Atwood winches myself.

sharptailer
    IGH, MN

Sorry. Its a 16′ Rebel w/25hp Johnson. It has a 1500# Fulton.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Quote:

Dutton- Lainson makes a decent winch.

Think thats the brand I bought. It didnt come with something. Might of had to buy the bolts or strap separate.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I personally like to overkill the winch by at least 500 pounds. Yes, it’s slower because of the lower gear ratio, but because of the lower effort required to turn the handle, the net result is you can wind the boat on faster once the slack is taken up.

BTW, now is a good time to inspect your safety chain and if you’re going to replace your winch, if it has a nylon strap, replace that at the same time. I learned this the hard way, those nylon straps get broken down by UV light, so I was winching up my boat and BANG! the strap broke. Luckily I had just started to get the bow on the 1st roller, so it didn’t roll back off the trailer on dry land or anything, but wow was that lucky.

I wrote a date on the strap in magic marker and from now on those straps are getting thrown in the trash and a new one installed every 3 years.

Grouse

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.