More problems with my Yamaha

• zach_bindert
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

How hard is it to change a fuel filter on a Yamaha 4 stroke? My motor is bogging down when I try to open it up. Made it back to the weigh in running at half throttle. I know lots of people on this site run Yamaha outboards I have only had this motor a year and have had several problems with it. Dealer says it sounds like a plugged fuel filter. Anyone else have any similar problem with one or did I just get a Lemon.

Tony K
    Barnes Wi

ya i did it was injectors
    easy to change had them cleaned first then just replaced them never had another problem. Good luck

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

My 2001 115hp Yammy has been like the proverbial Maytag washer… Have you been running no ethanol gas? Thats one thing I have done since day one… I also add the appropriate amount of Startron additive, spring/summer/fall.
    A certified Yamaha marine mechanic should be able to straighten it out quickly.

zach_bindert
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I always run without ethanol I was using stabil every tank but was having a vapor lock problem in the summer. They told me stabil might have been part of it and they changed the impeller because they thought it was running hot and causing the vapor lock. That problem seems to be gone but wonder if this problem is related to the other problem. It is also not hot out when I am fishing anymore.

jim-bailey
    Clinton County Iowa

When you have the filter changed, make sure you have a 10 micron fuel water seperator filter installed ahead of the outboard between the tank and the motor. It can get real expensive to have the injection system cleaned compared to the water seperator filter. I have a 2004 F150 with zero problems since new. Change the 10 micron filter. yearly.

Bryan Myers

Zach I am not sure what engine you have. If its a carberated engine its really easy to change it. Its in a canister on the side of the engine. If its a fuel injected engine there are a few more options. Some of these filter are labor intesive to get to. If you have any questions feel free to call eather Sean or myself at Skeeter Boat Center 715-833-0600 and we can get a better idea of what you have going on.

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

I had a problem for awhile on mine. It idled fine, but when I’d open it up, it would only run at what seemed like 2/3 speed.

Turned out to be a wiring harness where the dealer used OEM rather than the Yamaha harness, and the lower cost connectors corroded. The corroded connection sent a fault code that caused the engine to switch to “limp mode”.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

What year is it?

Older Yamahas with carburetors can have issues.

The needle jets tend to gum up.

Seafoam or Yamaha Ringfree every couple tanks would help.

zach_bindert
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

2012 F75 4 stroke, it is only 1 year old have had it in the shop 3 times.

zach_bindert
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

The boat originally came with a 50 HP two stroke when I bought it in 2008 and it already had the fuel water separator.

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

I use no ethanal gas and put Ring Free in every tank. One year when I winterized it I cracked a spark plug. In the spring it started find but when I went to open it up, it run like crap. When I checked the plugs, one came apart when I removed it. Just something to check.

lonewolf
    La Crosse, WI

We had a fuel filter issue this summer on a yamaha 50hp efi. It would bog down and if you pumped the primer bulb the motor would run normally. On the 50 there were two filters on the motor. The canister one and also an inline filter, we replaced both. Which solved the problem.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Maybe try a different shop.

zach_bindert
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

It got 2 more years of warranty and there the only yamaha dealer in the area. This is there last chance, if they can’t figure it out I am going to have to make a drive somewhere else. What is Ring Free?

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Its an additive that you put in with your gas like Seafoam & Stabil only it’s designed to help keep the rings in your pistons from locking up.

zach_bindert
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

So it is something you add along with a fuel stabalizer?

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

It doesn’t have to be added with fuel stabilizer. It can be added anytime you put fuel in your boat. If you buy some, follow the directions on the back of the container.
    Generally, its suppose to help improve the performance of your engine.

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

This is all great feedback, that’s what these kinds of website are for, thank you all, I have had my 150 Yamaha for four years now with no issues cross your finger – I fill the gas tank with ethanol all the time but I use fuel Stable and Additive most times but once in a while I don’t because I ran out. Ethanol hasn’t hurt my motor and I will keep filling up with it and add extra additives when available and Fuel Stable – I always use Yamaha product see attached photos. Keeps the great feedback coming? Peace

zach_bindert
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

It is great feed back and I appreciate all the help. Sounds like most people are happy with there outboards which was the reason I bought a Yamaha.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.