2012 4 Stroke Yamaha Making Strange Noises

• zach_bindert
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I ran it last weekend when it was cold outside allowing adequate time for it to warm up. After coming off plane it was making a squealing sound as I was idleing around. Seemed to run fine just an odd noise that I have never heard, Any ideas?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

What size motor? My 75 hp does the same thing. Not sure what it is. The noise doesnt seem to last to long. Think mine is going on 4 years now. Have heard others with the same issue.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Could it be similar to the sound of an incorrect belt tension?

red89
    Hudson

My dads seems to do that when you run it hard, not sure what it is. its a 2006 or 2005

mike-west
    Amery, WI

I have a 250 that made a very simular sound I’m thinking.
    It would happen mostly after running pretty hard then idoling back. Sounded just like a wet belt squeling.

My neighbor is a mechanic at an authorized dealer and he said it was lacking grease on the upper shaft that enters power head bushing.

He brought over Yamaha Grease WR NO.2 (that’s right off the box he left me), dropped the lower unit, put grease on upper shaft basically with just fingers (lubed her up good), put back in Lower unit and it hasn’t hade a sound since.

Give this a try.
    I’m sure any marine grease would be fine.
    Mike

Sean Reames

It is your upper drive shaft bushing making the squealing noise. It wont hurt anything just rather annoying. A little bit of WR-2 grease in it and it should stop doing it. You do have to remove your lower unit to grease it.

kroger3
    blaine mn

My 2012-75hp and 2009-115hp both do the same thing. Do some running to get motor nice and warm then it squeaks and after a while goes away. Have herd this in almost every Yamaha 4 stroke I have been around.

look-a-like
    St. Charles, MN

My 09 Yamaha F150 just started making a squealing sound when I took it out for the first time this spring. After it warms up it goes away, I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one having the problem.

zach_bindert
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Its a 75 and it sounds like a power steering issue on a cold morning when your car is outside. It went away when I would start it again after fishing. The last run of the day it didn’t do it either.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

My 2004 F75 also does it.

You can also spray some lube in the effected area without taking anything apart.

I used to spray it but when it squeals now its not for long.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.