Converting 60hp Yamaha to 70hp

• jasonlem
    New Prague

I know the first thing most are going to say is you should of uped (I did they wanted to give me a 50hp)the motor when you bought it! I agree and if I had a do over I would of gotten the 75hp being that is max HP for the boat. The 70hp Yamaha’s wasn’t made until the next year which is the same block as the 60hp with same stroke and displacement. the following year I thought about trading in on a 75hp and I’d lose to much for the gain. Now that the waranty is up I’ll switch it. I’m hoping someone has some in site on this converting! Thanks
    Jason

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

I have no insight other than I bought a new Alumacraft Navigator 165T this year. The dealer had a F60 bolted on it which concerned me but the deal was good so I bought it and had him put on a Yamaha 12″ prop per the Yamaha performance bulletins. Well, the short of the story is I talked myself into trading that new F60 for a F75 with Merten (Enginesteer) power steering before I even had it in the water. The new F75 isn’t broken in yet but runs awesome on that boat. I had them put a Yamaha 15″ aluminum prop on it for now even though they wanted to put on a 17. I tested one last Summer with a 17 and it had enough grunt to pull 3 men to 6000 rpm. Now for my 15, it is “quick”, out of the hole !!! I have only tested WOT 1 time so far but it easily pulled to 6000 and the GPS on the HB 998 read 34.8mph, with full tank of fuel and 2 men onboard. I have been told by the dealer it will gain some RPM as it breaks in so I might buy another prop (17) for normal loads and save this 15 for heavy loads when I fish the river in Winter with 3 guys onboard. It’s a sweet engine and the power steering makes it absolutely awesome to control.
    I don’t think you’ll be happy with the F60 because the displacement is still only 1000cc whereas the F75 is almost 1600cc. I do admit, the F60 would be a dream for trolling.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.