on board charger

• mikev

Just finished installing new ipilot 24 volt system, can’t wait to try it out this weekend. Now I need to add the on board charger for the system, any recommendations?

jerry b
    western WI

Quote:

Now I need to add the on board charger for the system, any recommendations?

I recommend that you put in my boat.

I tried to put mine in a location that I could see the charge lights (from outside the boat)and still be out of my way. Also, I didn’t take the time to run the cables all the way to the batterys, instead I tied’m into the cables for my Vector. Works great and saved a bunch of time- – jerr

oops- – Vantage, sorry- –

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Minn kota hands down. I have been through a pro mariner and a cabelas. Both failed shortly after the warranty expired. The Minn kotas have a 3 year warranty. 1 extra year over the industry standard. I’m on my third year with them and they have been flawless.

jerry b
    western WI

Quote:

Dualpro!

X2, I currently run a Pro Mariner and it does work, it’s dependable but only 5a/bank, slow but does the job. Somehow the case cracked, I siliconed the crack but am waiting for it to die. The Dual pro is American made and is designed to be repairable. Thinking I’ll go that way next time.jerr

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Minn kota hands down.

5 years here…knock on wood!

3 bank with 10 amps on each bank. One of the best items I’ve ever purchased for my boat. No more boiling the batteries and having to find distilled water to refill them.

PS everyone will tell you what they have is the best. A better question would be…What on board chargers should I stay away from.

Since I listened to ol’ Wade from Jolly Ann, I lucked out when he pointed me to the MinnKota right of the bat. Only one I’ve ever owned.

elk_addict
    Northern IA/Lincoln Lakes Area

I have a Guest three bank in my boat 10 amp to both trolling batteries and 5 amp to starting battery. I have had this for over 10 years and still working great! Not sure of their recent product but mine is a great charger!

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

PS everyone will tell you what they have is the best. A better question would be…What on board chargers should I stay away from.

So True

If I had to buy another it would either be a Minn Kota OR Dual Pro.
    I run a Dual Pro, 7 years, as do some of the people I fish with. I have installed a few Minn Kota for friends and they have not have any troubles.
    Can’t go wrong with either one in my mind.

Ron

StonyEye

I won’t get into Brands. But I will say after having 2 3 bank chargers go out, I have gone to 2 chargers, a small 1 bank for my starting battery and a powerful 2 bank for my trolling batteries. Many people may not need the starting battery charger, but I spend a lot of time fishing smaller lakes. So I may be fishing for several hours in the dark, using lights, livewell, graphs ect, then it is only a short ride back to the ramp, so starting battery gets little charge from outboard. So I like knowing the starting battery gets charged fully. I spliced the incoming power lines together so that I still only need 1 extension chord. Splice is wire nutted, filled wire nuts with silicone, taped them up, then wire tied them up high so they won’t get wet until just before the entire boat goes under.

sandmannd

MinnKota for me. Check at Thorne, right now there is a rebate on them. I got a good deal on my new three bank to replace my 10 year old one.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

Dualpro!

X3 or X4 or whatever it is.

Take it for whatever its worth to you but I’ve been running Dualpro in my boat every since I started guiding.
    (8 years now) No problems what so ever.

Boog

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

I would stay away from anything Cabela’s when it comes to batteries and chargers. Experience speaking….

fireline
    Rochester

Quote:

I have a Guest three bank in my boat 10 amp to both trolling batteries and 5 amp to starting battery. I have had this for over 10 years and still working great! Not sure of their recent product but mine is a great charger!

X2

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

If I had to buy another it would either be a Minn Kota OR Dual Pro.

Can’t go wrong with either one in my mind.

X2

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

I run a dualpro sportsman model witch is a 3 bank 10 amp. The Dualpro professional model is a 15 amp per bank.

Dualpro, Minn kota Guest pro are comparable in price. I have not heard anything bad about any of them.

There is a cost difference between 10amp per bank and the 15 amp per bank at around $75 more for the 15 amp.

I went for the 10 amp as I feel it is healthier for the battery to charge it slower.

mikev

thanks for all the input, I think minnkota or dual pro is the ticket.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.