lead core life span?

• splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

I changed out all my lead-core rods (4) today with new line. I’m not really sure why though. It looked Ok, but it was all 6+ years old. I can’t say that I’ve had issues with it breaking off, but I just thought after that long that I should change it all out. It also gave me an opportunity to recheck the counter readings and set all colors into the reels in same color pattern – which I did. This makes it less confusing for me when I am fishing with multiple rods.
    My question though is,… What does everyone else do for lead core? When do you change out line? Even though I fish a lot, my lines really did not appear to be too bad. Was I wasting my time/money in doing this?
    I know mentally, if nothing else, it will make me feel better when I’m cranking in that next big fish.
    Splitshot

igotone

this is a good ??????

like to know also

got the stuff to do it

mine is going on 4 years old I think

eyesfishin
    Somerset, WI

I know alot of guys will strip off the core and turn it around and run it another year or two.

scott-k
    Red Wing

The dacron will last a long time. The issue in lead core is when the lead pushes through the dacron–that makes weak spots and then it will break.

If yours has no kinks or spots where the lead has pushed through, use it. You could always run it out in the yard and give it the pull test. I’d rather know for sure than wonder when I have a head-shaker coming in…

Now I have the fever..I just might have to go pull lead tomorrow!

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Quote:

I know alot of guys will strip off the core and turn it around and run it another year or two.

True story. Depending on the fishing you do, you may be only using the first 2, 3, or 4 colors all the time. Turning it around gives the other a chance to be used, thus extending the life span greatly.

It really depends on how you treat your lead, too. If you have kinks in it and work it back thru the way it got kinked and treat it gingerly, I do believe it will last longer for you.

Usually you’ll know when to change it; if you pay attention, you’ll see it start to decay a little, maybe even see it coming apart somewhat.

Jeff Bennett
    Lake Puckaway Wi.

Good idea on changing the line around on the spool!

splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

As I said, after 6 years I just replaced mine. I’ve had some internal lead breaks here and there, so I just felt it was time.
    I bought 2 – 200 yard spools of Cabela’s 18#, pulled it out in the yard/down the street to “half-it” equally, then made sure the colors were in the same order and starting spot when I started (after 200 feet of fireline backing). All 4 of my counters were very close in their readings too, so that made me feel better also. …They’re all ready to go!

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

if you are using linecounters, why are you concerned with the color pattern of the leadcore?

igotone

Quote:

if you are using linecounters, why are you concerned with the color pattern of the leadcore?

4 me it is easier when trolling to just take a look and see that color is about same place on rod – even with the line counters — sometimes the person I am with does not let it out the same — plus one of the counters can be off and this is just another way to check that both are close to the same — with out having to reel in and reset counter

Just reset after a fish or moving

splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

As per the previous post, I tend to use both the counters and the color a lot, especially when running baits out. If I’m trying to run out 2 or 4 rods at once, I can quickly scan the rods in the holders as they feed out line and just watch the colors to see where I’m at. The color will immediately tell me so I don’t have to quit doing something else to go read a counter. Then when I see that I’m on/near the color I want, I’ll set the reel and fine-tune the bait location with the counters. If my rods are all set with the colors in the same order, it really makes it easy to remember all the rod set locations when doing this. None of this matters though if I’m trying to hug bottom. …Just let out until it ticks then.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Quote:

(after 200 feet of fireline backing).

Why so much backing? I usually use as little backing as possible; just enough so the leadcore attaches to the reel and doesn’t slide.

splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

Quote:

Why so much backing?

Because there are times/places when I let out all 10 plus to get to where I want.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.