Need Some Advice Humminbird or Lowrance HDS

• nextbite
    Newton, IA

I was hoping to get some advice on the positives and negatives of these two products before I buy one. I do like the mapping on the huminbird with the satellite overlays and the ipilot feature as well. How do they compare in ease of use, structure scan, and any issues with any of them such as seal leaks and stuff.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

I like the ability on my Humminbird to color or shade depth ranges. This has helped a lot to notice depth changes that I might not have noticed.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Quote:

X2

bianchi96
    Gateway to Whitewater

Very good signature Wade, makes a lot of sense!

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

Quote:

Wade

X2

Tom

Way to promote the site fellas!!

smokinbobo
    Monticello / Guthrie, MN

I had the previous generation Lowrance products and bought a HB 1197Csi when the first came out with side imaging. I like the HB from a user standpoint much better than the previous generation Lowrance but haven’t used the new Lowrance units. I liked the HB products well enough that after a couple of summers of use I bought an 898Csi for my boat last year. Also, Lake Master has great data on most of the Upper Midwest water with some really neat features on the Humminbird units.

Lastly, I didn’t just throw away my Lowrances. They earned spots on the dash of my truck, my ATV and my canoe for ice fishing and small water exploring.

My 2 Cents.

Fishhound

I’ve had both brands. Both are outstanding. I’ve had zero problems with either one.

I tend to gravitate towards the Humminbird because of two features. You can highlight a depth range for trolling. Since I live on a lake that fluctuates water level the feature that allows me to reset the map for conditions that day is important.

I’m an amature when it comes to using side scan. One negative on the humminbird is my friends all use Lowrance. This means when I have a problem I don’t have much help figuring it out. Minor deal, but “friend support” always helps.

I haven’t looked at the new features this year so would research the 2012 upgrades before I made a final decision. Good luck.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Both make good units. Lowrance used to have pretty poor customer service but have turned that around, so don’t let any stories of poor service steer you away from Lowrance. When I upgraded electronics 2 years back, I looked hard at both brands. I went with Lowrance because I liked the menu system better and I thought the screens on the Lowrance units were sharper and clearer. I now run an HDS-5, HDS-7, and HDS-8 gen 2 along with structure scan. I have had zero problems with any of them.

That being said, I have fished with plenty of friends that have birds and they are nice as well.

Go to Cabela’s, Gander, or Thorne Bros. and look at the units side by side. Play with the menus and look at the demos. You will figure out what one appeals more to you. Don’t go strictly off what you read, here or elsewhere. Go compare the two. Either way you go, you will get a good unit.

Palerider77

I would have to agree with John. Go to the big store and push buttons and ask questions. I think that the Humminbird is more intuitive, but the Lowrance users have had good results as well. For the sake of full disclosure, I have a Humminbird 917c and a 1198ci. I also am planning on rigging my Vexilar FL-18 onto the boat this summer, just for the sake of diversity. Good Luck, keep asking questions and you will find what you are looking for.

Fishhound

Ice fishing with a Vexilar is one of my favorite activities. Do you know anyone that’s tried putting a flasher on their boat? Just curious if a moving boat will give you the same level of detail you get from a stationary position? Will it work? Thanks

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

What’s to promote. This topic has been beat to death.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Quote:

Quote:

What’s to promote. This topic has been beat to death.

Maybe you can jump on this thread and let them know it is a worthless topic as well. I know trailer tires have been talked about before on this site, so why do it all over again????

Trailer Tire Thread

This sure beats reading threads on how you are testing props on your new Skeeter

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

This sure beats reading threads on how you are testing props on your new Skeeter

Searching the forums yields great results and info.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Not Jealous one bit. I have a brand new boat too. To this day I haven’t posted a single pic of it online. Some of us are humble by nature

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Not Jealous one bit. I have a brand new boat too. To this day I haven’t posted a single pic of it online. Some of us are humble by nature

Good for you. What’s your point?

Are you implying that there is something wrong with sharing set up results so those that want the same results don’t need to trial and error? Isn’t that the point of this site……. or did that thought escape you?

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

NextBite. Check out the HB and LOW forums. This topic has been covered a ton. Both seem to be getting more and more comparable as time goes by. You’ll see a lot of us still feel that the edge goes to HB on majority of talking points.

For the record I’ve got HB in my last 3 boats and every time I go shopping to compare I’m just not sold on LOW.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

My point is not everyone on this site is on it every day like we are and has intimate of the functionality available to them. How would you like the response you gave to the poster if you were looking for answers on something?

I will now bow out of this conversation

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

My point is not everyone on this site is on it every day like we are and has intimate of the functionality available to them. How would you like the response you gave to the poster if you were looking for answers on something?

I will now bow out of this conversation

Fair enough, point taken.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.