Trolling Rod Lights

• walinutz
    Cologne, MN

I’ve been looking for a light that mounts to the end of your trolling rod so you can see the tip in the dark. Anyone have any info? i thought of using those small glow sticks but not too excited about it.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Used those glow sticks while night fishing this fall. They worked pretty good.

traumatized
    eastern iowa

The little glow sticks made for bobbers work good. Like these click here

loren_keizer

Quote:

The little glow sticks made for bobbers work good. Like these click here

This is what I do as well.

wes_bergemann
    Crystal, MN

Quote:

Used those glow sticks while night fishing this fall. They worked pretty good.

X2

I also have used bells on the end of the rod too. The repetetive sound can put one to sleep though. But depends on the rod or lure being pulled if there is enough “bounce”

backlasher
    Fridley, Mn

I just clip one of those Nite Brite bobber light/battery to the end.

walinutz
    Cologne, MN

Thanks guys. Really didn’t want to spend 2 bucks a stick so I did a little web searching…..

Glow sticks for cheap

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Reflective tape can work on the cheap. I did find a light at Wal-mart that clips to your rod with a battery operated light. About $9 if I remember right.

ET

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Reflective tape can work on the cheap. I did find a light at Wal-mart that clips to your rod with a battery operated light. About $9 if I remember right.

ET

ET, that have a few of them at Joe’s in St Paul as well.

BELLS!

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

use electrical tape to tape the small LED flash light ( i like the ones that are the size of a roll of quarters) to your rod just infront of the grip. It will shine down the length of the rod illuminating every rod guide.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

If you are using line counter reels just loosen the drag a little and set the clicker, I do this day and night trolling. When the clicker starts singing….fish on.
    It also helps you to know if one of your lines gets gunk on it because it will start clicking slowly from the extra weight.

Between the drag and the clicker there is more than enough tension to bury the hooks in a fish. Once the fish is on snug up the drag a little flip the clicker off and game on.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

I’ve thought about Mark’s idea a lot, with taping the LED light to the rod and shining down the rod. I was going to mount some LEDs on my boat and just shine them in the area where the rod tip would be. So far, I’ve done neither and just used my headlamp to check them periodically, but it’s always nice to have a constant light on them for watchers like myself. I’m not a fan of the reflective tape…hasn’t seemed to work too well for me in the past.
    I’m still debating about running some wire for extra LED lights for night trolling. I do use the clickers, and it’s a blast when a wiper smacks a crank at midnight-1am or so….

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

For what it’s worth I use Dave’s Rod N Bob’s for sturgeon fishing. The last about three nights or 18 hours before needing to be replaced.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.