F150 with Ecoboost?

• francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Has anyone actually pulled the trigger on one of these. I know that there have been a few posts asking about them, but I don’t recall anyone giving any first hand accounts on their impressions while hauling?

Not looking to use it as a daily driver, but rather what a truck was originally meant for, hauling. A boat that is.

Any insight would be welcomed. Especially performance while hauling your boat. Please include the size of your boat.

FDR

big_g
    Isle, MN

If ECOBOOST is anything like RAM’S HEMI MDS, you should not notice any loss of power while towing. It only engages (4 cylinders) when the conditions are right and never when in tow/haul mode. It designed for times when cruising and should Boost your MPG about 10-15%.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I pulled the trigger as a birthday gift for myself. 2011 F150 with Eco-boost and 157″ wheel base. I have just over 1000 miles on it so far and its everything and then some. I sold my duramax so, I set the bar pretty high while testing these Eco-boosts. I personally think this truck will cause the F250 to decrease in sales. I am pulling a skeeter 1790T right now, and I cannot tell its behind me. I have tested several different ways, in tow haul, crusie, and manual shifting and I have yet to have this truck actually down shift while towing a boat, similar to the duramax. Any other 1/2 ton will down shift on any sort of hill while pulling.
    3.55 gears lariat package, 26 gallon tank and it gets just about 20mpg commuting to work via the highway and I am when pulling from Cities to Mille Lacs I am average about 15.5mpg. The quiet V6 engine is nice coming from a diesel and the power is incredible, I have been able to break loose the tires at 45 mph.
    I plan on putting a topper on the truck to hopefully gain a little more miles per gallon, but we will see. So far I am super happy with it.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

The ecoboost is a v6 with twin turbos, direct fuel injection, and some other technologies that give it more torque and power than most v8 engines.

I have a 2011 ecoboost super crew and I can’t say enough good things about it. I have almost 10,000 miles on it, and I can tell you that it will loosen up after a few thousand miles. I average about 17.5 (18 if i work at it) mpg on my daily driving, which is inside the 494/694 ring, so my cruise is never on and it’s mostly stop and go. When I set the cruise on 63-65mpg I get about 22mpg. I have to use the cruise to crack 20mpg, but she’ll stay well over 20mpg up to about 70mph. At 80mph I think I get 17-18mpg. Towing my 1500# boat I get about 15.5mpg, maybe 16mpg at highway speeds, and a little higher if I take it easy. The mileage has everyone to do with how you drive, and there’s an instant economy gauge on the dash to tell you what you’re getting.

I drove a 2002 extended can with the 5.4 v8 prior to this truck. The power of the ecoboost blows the 5.4 out of the water. And on the same daily driving where I get 17.5mpg now, I was getting about 13.5mpg with the 5.4.

samden

I have an ecoboost with 10000 miles,so far its the best truck I have owned.I have an 17ft lund advanture which is heavy,I get in 15mpg range pulling it.I have an tourneau cover on it.which helps the mpg.I came home from mille lacs yesterday the wind was behind me,I filled up in Onimia drove 65mph,stopped in rogers at camper supply,then drove to hampton,mn and I averaged 24.6 mpg I was not pulling the boat.thats not the norm its usally 20-22 but with good conditions& carefull driving thats what it can do.At this point in time I would highly recommend this tiger,and as someone else said when you kick the turbos,you can break the tires loose,

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

The ecoboost is a v6 with twin turbos, direct fuel injection, and some other technologies that give it more torque and power than most v8 engines.

RAM HEMI excluded of course…390 HP

Sounds like the Ecoboost is nothing like the HEMI MDS, although similar in mpg ratings.

mb757
    Dodgeville, WI

RAM HEMI excluded of course…390 HP

Sounds like the Ecoboost is nothing like the HEMI MDS, although similar in mpg ratings.

The Eco-Boost is a 3.5 liter, 365hp with 420ft lbs of torque, the ram is a 5.7 liter, 390 horse with 407ft lbs of torque. The Eco-Boost is nothing to sneeze at for pulling power and it’s been trouble free since we have sold the first one at our shop. The people that have purchased a new Eco-Boost love them.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Do any of these trucks allow a 6 1/2 foot box with an extended cab or a crew cab? I’m pulling a 6,000 pound trailer, what king of mileage might I see without the trailer in town, cruising on the highway and, towing??

I’m currently looking at new 1012’s and will order one rather soon.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Looks like the v6 ecoboost has almost as much horsepower as the v8 hemi, and more torque. What kind if mileage does the hemi get? Or wait, I guess the thread was about the ecoboost. Never mind!

In response to the bed size, I know you can get a longer than standard bed with the crew. I believe it’s a 6.5 vs the 5.5 standard bed in a crew cab.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

It’s good to see the manufactures are getting close. They’ve got a V6 with similar numbers to the V8. So it’s not like we are saving any money on gas (minimal amount at best).

I’d love to see a 30 MPG highway pickup that get’s 15 MPG while towing. THEN we’d have something.

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Has anyone pulled a twenty plus foot boat with it yet?? I would like to hear the results. That is some amazing torque out of a v 6

big_g
    Isle, MN

You do not want to know the HEMI gets 1 mpg less rating in mileage… it has 25 more horse, with only 13 less foot pounds of torque I know RAM was toying with putting a 4 cyl diesel in the half ton, this could get close to what your asking for Wade and maybe with even better towing than 15 mpg

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

You do not want to know the HEMI gets 1 mpg less rating in mileage… it has 25 more horse, with only 13 less foot pounds of torque I know RAM was toying with putting a 4 cyl diesel in the half ton, this could get close to what your asking for Wade and maybe with even better towing than 15 mpg

and i wish they would hurry up with that….

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I’ve towed a tailered skidsteer around with my truck — it was no problem at all. You can get set up an ecoboost to tow over 10,000#, I believe. Mine is rated for something like 9,000#. I’ve towed a 20′ ranger and again, it made my 5.4 (which was a great hauler) feel weak. The torque is incredible — you get up and go right away. It’s easy to forget there’s a boat behind you.

I googled “ecoboost vs. hemi tow rating” and this test was the first result. I’m sure they’re both good trucks.

I love my ecoboost, and I love consistently getting over 20mpg on the highway. I’ve had as high as 23.5 for extended periods, but it’s mostly 21-22. I’d recommend it to anyone.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Quote:

Has anyone pulled a twenty plus foot boat with it yet?? I would like to hear the results. That is some amazing torque out of a v 6

Lets go fishing your boat my truck.

Yes the super crew does come in a 6′ box. that is the 157″ wheel base.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I need that engine on a work van.

big_g
    Isle, MN

So according to that test, in 0-60 haul pulling, get a Ecoboost if your in a hurry and the lake is a half mile away (you’ll get there 11 seconds earlier), but for any trip over 3.5 miles pulling, get a HEMI… right ? That poor Silverado must be a pooch at 315 HP ????

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Any of you guys experiencing some of the problems listed below as some EcoBoost owners have?

“I am unhappy with my new Ecoboost Lariat.. it has 2900 miles on it. I’ve had some weird issues and have been back to the dealer but they tell me everything is okay. I’m wondering if anyone else has had similar concerns or if this is just the normal behavior of the truck. I had a 2007 Lariat with the 5.4 that was smooth as glass and never had any issues.

1. Rough 1-2 shifts.

This has been a real problem spot. The shifts are rough when cold and sometimes when warm. 1-2 often gives you a kick… but the problem is intermittent. Things were bad enough on I-95 in stop and go traffic a few weeks ago that I just locked the truck into first gear with manual. The shifts tend to be rougher under light throttle inputs but that’s not always the case.

2. Weird surge feeling when stopping.

When coming to a complete stop, the truck seems to have trouble getting the motor out. I feel like I’m braking through the engine. At about 1000 rpm, the tach bounces a little bit by a few hundred RPM once or twice. Only when you’re finally at a complete stop does the engine return to idle.

3. Fast idle when cold.

Upon start up.. and for the first few miles.. the idle is exceedingly fast. It’s annoying when pulling out of a lot and stopping. You really have to brake hard to hold it back.

4. Holding throttle in when off the pedal.

Say you’re in a parking lot hunting for a space. You completely take your foot off the gas.. but the truck hangs onto the throttle at say 900 or 1000 and takes you on a trip without your foot being anywhere near the pedal.

5. Tach bounce at idle.

There’s a fluctuation in the tach at idle.

Let me say that I am thrilled with the engine at speed.. it has enough power to launch you and everything else into next week. I seriously dislike the truck at low speeds and feel it needed more time on the proving grounds. If anybody else has had similar/issues concerns I’d love to know about them and what the dealer did or didn’t do.

Thanks.”

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I haven’t noticed any of these issues with my truck…but i will pay more attention at lower rpm’s now.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I haven’t noticed any of these issues with my truck…but i will pay more attention at lower rpm’s now.

Cal

Sounds like you’re towing on Thursday, eh?!

bobberal
    St Cloud MN, Leech Lake

Sauger, I have pulled my Skeeter 1880 all over the state and I will tell you that with this 19 foot boat with a 150hp main, 8hp kicker and full gas tanks it feels like a I am pulling a 14 foot tin boat. I have 13 K miles and still love the speed, power and fuel economy.

Passing with the Eco Boost is like putting the star ship in warp…60 to 90 is a blur!

Oh and by the way, I bet Ford sells more Eco Boost tucks now than all of Dodge trucks combined!

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Cal

Sounds like you’re towing on Thursday, eh?!

I think if I hook that boat up you might be leaving it at my house….

ted-merdan

I am getting 15-16 pulling my glass boat (20′ Ranger) from the N metro to Mille Lacs ($42 for a round trip to Mille Lacs last week for reference) and averaging almost 20 on 1K mile round trips to IA in my old 2001 7.3 diesel Ford Excrusion. I did chip it last summer and that jumped me up 10-20% but it’s highly dependent on how you drive it.

I have been thinking for a while why don’t we have a 6 cyl diesel offerd by all major manuf as I believe this would answer the majority of the demands from most folks. At the slight increase of diesel over unleaded right, now I am content to put more miles on my old truck (160K and counting) and wait to see what else is offered.

The ECO boost seems to be an interesting step in the right direction – now how about doing something in the full size SUV catagory? This would definitely increase sales in my opinion.

-ted

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Good question Ted. I always wanted a Suburban with a Diesel engine.

FDR

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

FDR

They made them way back when (early 80’s?). Had a friend with one in high school. It would be pretty awesome. I guess they don’t think there’s enough market for it, but there have to be a lot of us that need an SUV as opposed to a pick-up. I’d love a pick-up, it just wouldn’t work for my family.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

Quote:

FDR

They made them way back when (early 80’s?). Had a friend with one in high school. It would be pretty awesome. I guess they don’t think there’s enough market for it, but there have to be a lot of us that need an SUV as opposed to a pick-up. I’d love a pick-up, it just wouldn’t work for my family.

I didn’t realize that they had been made. Learn something new everyday.

FDR

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

From what I can tell, Chevy offered the 6.2 L diesel from 1982-1991 and the 6.5 L turbo diesel from 1992-1999.

Sorry to get off topic

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

GMC has a small displacement Duramax engineered for use in light trucks including Suburbans sitting on the shelf right now. The recession in 2008 killed the planned released but the rebound in truck sales, specifically sales of their HD series trucks have GM thinking about pulling the trigger.

4.5 Liter Duramax

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

My 6.6 liter Duramax in my 2500 HD Silverado has been an amazing tow vehicle for the last 80k. To the point that it has more power than I need, even when towing a WX2100. The smaller 4.5 Duramax would likely be a perfect fit for guys looking for a combination of seemingly unlimited power and economy when towing loads like 18′ – 21′ fishing boats that really don’t tap into the true capabilities of the larger diesels.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.