Berkley Nanofil Line

• john23
    St. Paul, MN

Has anyone tried the new nanofil line? I put some suffix 332 on two spinning reels for crank baits this year and had a horrible time with it. I switched from power pro because of the wind knots, but I got even more wind knots and much worse abrasion resistance with the 332. Is the Nanofil line worth a shot? For cranks on wingdams I need small diameter (so I can use stronger line) and good abrasion resistance … and no wind knots!

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

John:

Though I have no experience with it at this time, one of my friends has and is very impressed with it!!! I think they only make it in # tests up to 12#’s… It is very limp and his use for it was going to be jigging mostly. All I got on it right now…

Mark

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I didn’t see anything there about wind knots or abrasion resistance. I might grab a spool of 12# and give it a shot despite the lack of reviews. I do wish they made it heaver for cranks, but I bet it will be killer for blade baits.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Have you considered going to a baitcaster for tossing cranks? Like going glass in a boat, you will never look back!

BTW, I have never once had a “wind knot”. Just saw one for the first time recently. (Need a scratching head greamlin >here<)

-J.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Have you considered going to a baitcaster for tossing cranks? Like going glass in a boat, you will never look back!
    -J.

I’ll give up my spinning rod when they pry my cold Dead fin………

coot
    North Central Wisconsin

Have not used it myself, but have some buddies who have. Here are some of there thoughts-
    positives = castability, sensitivity, no stretch, stronger than mono
    negatives = not as abrasion resistant as braids or other superlines
    They really liked it and said it definitely has its nitch or key presentations where it excells. Guess reel manufacturers are going to have to start packaging reels with 3 spools, 1 for superline, 1 for mono, and 1 for nanofil!

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Jon,

I got a baitcaster this year, and I just don’t like throwing the smaller cranks with it. Maybe I need to spend more time with it, but I really do like my spinning reels for shad rap type baits.

Coot – thanks for the response. I ordered a couple new saharas with a gift certificate I had, and not only were they like $20 more than the last sahara reel I bought, they only came with one spool! No good.

walleye_wisdom
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

John- Isn’t that the shaft, I went to buy a new spinning reel the other week and saw the price hike of around $20 per Shimano model and no spare spool!

Found this out about the time I was thinking about trying out the Pflueger President people rave about, so, went with the President!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

I got a baitcaster this year, and I just don’t like throwing the smaller cranks with it. Maybe I need to spend more time with it, but I really do like my spinning reels for shad rap type baits.

Sounds like you have the right rod for a little heavier crank. You will probably need a few more rod/reels to fill that nitch. I’ll assure you they are out there! I’m amost 100% baitcasting in the summer. Even with light jig/plastic stuff. Love it!

-J.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.