on board charger recommendations?

• jt_fish

Looking for recommendations on a 3-bank on board charger.

Any suggestions on good ones or ones to stay away from?

JT

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Anyone that’s ever use the Minnkota line will recommend them.

Link to Jollyann Marine MK-330

I’ve been running this one for 4 or 5 years now. Seldom have to add water to the battery because with the built in battery tender, it doesn’t boil the battery.

I do believe that I’m getting a longer life from my batteries because I’m using a 10 amp charger. Opinion here.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I didn’t see your post Ralf, they might be good too.

Just wanted to add the Minnkota sports a 3 year warrenty and runs $159. no shipping or tax if you don’t live in IA.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

I’m running the mk-330 also and think it’s great… and yup, it was purchased from Jolly Ann because I didn’t have to pay tax or shipping

Love MK’s battery maintainer technology.

hookem_9
    Hastings, MN

I bought a Minnkota MK330 a few years ago, Been a solid unit. Very happy with it. Charges and maintains well.

jt_fish

Thanks Brian, what benefits are there to a 10 amp charger vs a 5 amp charger other than recovery time?

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

X2 on MinnKota. I just added another 2 bank to my boat this spring. Also purchased from Jolly Ann Marine. -Mark

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

The slower the charge the better. So a 5 amp is better for your batteries than a 10 amp. Most people looking at chargers tend to lean toward the larger amperage chargers….15 or 20 amps.

These do have a faster recovery time, but the end result is less battery life. It’s a trade off.

If your a tourney angler or someone else that needs a fast charge go bigger. The average Joe Sixpack will find the 10 amp suitable for their needs.

If that makes any sense.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Suzuki doesn’t count. He’s still running a Jiffy.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Quote:

Anyone that’s ever use the Minnkota line will recommend them.

Link to Jollyann Marine MK-330

I’ve been running this one for 4 or 5 years now. Seldom have to add water to the battery because with the built in battery tender, it doesn’t boil the battery.

I do believe that I’m getting a longer life from my batteries because I’m using a 10 amp charger. Opinion here.

3 year warranty on the Minn Kota’s! Best in the business. All other have a 2 year. Running 2 MK210’s and love them. Free Shipping and no sales tax wiht Wade is the way to go. You wont beat the price even if you pick it up at a store that carries them

BTW I still run a JIFFY too

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Suzuki doesn’t count. He’s still running a Jiffy.

My first 3-output Guest was installed in boat in 1998. Still works flawlessly. My second single output Guest has been doing the same in my Pontoon for 5 years. It worked on odd jobs around the house for 2 years prior. My third Guest was purchased last year for fishing boat. Single output, sealed and cute as a bug. Oh, and of course works flawlessly.

fireline
    Rochester

X2 on the Guest.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

minn kota has been very good for me. Also had good luck with pro mariner in the past.

2jranch
    Arcadia, WI

x2 on the Dual Pro, I leave mine plugged in all winter, check my battery’s and water levels are good and the Dual Pro is rebuildable. It’s not a throw away, if you loose a bank you can have it repaired.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

x2 on the Dual Pro, I leave mine plugged in all winter, check my battery’s and water levels are good and the Dual Pro is rebuildable. It’s not a throw away, if you loose a bank you can have it repaired.

Do you send it in? Order parts and do it yourself? Is the cost fairly reasonable? Sorry for all of the questions.

FDR

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.