Reverse camera for lining up the trailer ?

• Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I was thinking it may be nice to use the reverse camera for lining up the ball on the receiver to the coupler on the boat trailer.

Is anyone doing this ? Is there an after market item I can look at to buy ?

2jranch
    Arcadia, WI

I have a camera with magnet on it and sticks to the tailgate and the reciever just plugs in cig. lighter. No wires, works great. I got it on Ebay for less than $100.00.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Do you have a name/model number ?

onestout
    Hudson, WI

What year model truck do you have? I posted my install on here a couple years ago. So far it is working awesome I used the factory tailgate latch mount and it points down just right to see the ball. The wife is much happier also.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

2006 Chevy Silverado 4-door

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Dave, check out the Iball. It is the type with the magnetic camera and the monitor is on a flexible arm that plugs right in the cig lighter. I don’t have one but have seen one in action. They work pretty well.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Hey John,

that looks easy enough to use…

Know of any stores that sell them ? Or just online ?

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

My Tacoma had one as standard equipment – never would have thought of getting one but I can back up and put the ball right under the hitch on either of my trailers – took a little practice to get confidence in it but now is pretty neat to use.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Well, maybe I can talk the wife into me getting a new GMC SERRIA with a reverse camera included !!!

Makes way more sense to me !!

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

I got a Swift Hitch portable wireless camera system. Good reviews. No permanent installation / wiring. Works very good so far.

Next truck will have a back-up camera…but til then, this unit has worked quite well.

2jranch
    Arcadia, WI

Quote:

Dave, check out the Iball. It is the type with the magnetic camera and the monitor is on a flexible arm that plugs right in the cig lighter. I don’t have one but have seen one in action. They work pretty well.

I’m pretty sure that’s what I have, works good, the truck isn’t here right now to check.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Koonce, once you have one you’ll never not have one again. i upgraded the head unit on my truck last year and had one installed. mines in a license plate bracket mount, and while i was at it i installed a couple back up lights as well.

send me a pm if you want more info

jami

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

Hey John,

that looks easy enough to use…

Know of any stores that sell them ? Or just online ?

I have only seen them on-line. I can pretty much tell where I need to be to hook up the trailer, but have thought about getting one just so whiskerkev can stop taking 15 attempts to back up my trailer while I idle around the lake. People that never learned to back with mirrors have a tough time backing my trailer because the fiberglass toneau cover blocks any view out the back window. I keep asking for the Iball for christmas but have yet to get one.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Backing the trailer into the landings… No Problem… Even my wife has that down pat… “Love That Girl !!”

It’s just that with the Ranger and the tandem axle trailer I keep getting in and out of the truck to line it up.. And with the new hip and most likely the other one is going to happen this year as well….. well I just wanna make getting the trailer hooked up as user friendly as possible !!

shawnch
    Minnesota

Oh, I have one of these and it rocks. Locks on with a magnet and the monitor plugs into the power port/cigarette lighter deal. I have the iball “http://www.iballhitchcam.com/” but I think there are others out there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.