Yamaha tiller vs Merc tiller?????

• Derrick Cox
    MN, Eagan

In the next month or so i will be buy myself a lund 1825 pro guide. I am going thru nelson marine in white bear and they allow you to swap out the mercs that are usually on there. I know that mercury has the big tiller handle and how good it is but i really like the yamaha motors??? Do they also have a handle comparable to mercury??? Also the motor size will be 90hp what kind of performance should i expect?? Trolling speed, wide open throttle speed, etc???

Thanks Derrick

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

If it were me, I’d go with the Yammie and the VTS handle. I’d guess you should touch 34-35 wide open, troll down to 2 maybe?

JasonP
    Twin Cities

I think one thing the Yammi handle has is the ability to adjust throttle in small increments for trolling….not sure if the merc handle has this yet.

jedma

i had to make same choice between a honda and a merc. honda more $$ i have merc now on boat i trading in i going with honda. herd so many good things bout them . now i hurting my brain trying to decide on galvy or painted trailer ???

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I run a pro v with a 90 yammi much better then the merc. as for power steering you don’t need it but would be nice for long runs. The same hydralic steering system merc uses is available for the yammi. merc buys the system from another maker. When I checked with nelson on adding it to my boat I opted out as it was 2500-3000 it isn’t that bad with a standard tiller. yammi is quieter more adjustable and better on fuel. IMO much better motor.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I run at 34 top speed with my pro v much heavier. and trolls down to almost nada with adjustments to rpms.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

I run a 2009 1825 ProGuide with 90hp 4st Yamaha,standard prop, Titan Steering

Full load, two guys, full tank of fuel squeaks out 36+, with the VTS rpm control you can troll down to 1.75 forward on FLAT CALM water. Works great.

I went with Yamaha because of the Great tiller handle and reliability of Yamaha motors.

You will love the 1825 with the Yamaha 90.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Quote:

Mercury’s Big Tiller handle has been available since 2008, is available with or without hydraulic power steering, and is available with or without the Troll Control rpm-adjustment on the handle.
    http://www.mercurymarine.com/media/mercury/documents/899883424_PR-BigTillerSS_1009.pdf
    Oh yeah, available up to 250hp motors too. You Yamaha guys still waiting for that high-hp option from Yamaha?

HRG

HRG, I was almost certain the Merc Big Tiller was not available in 08, that was the big reason I went with Yamaha. Then in 09 I just went with the Yamaha again because I liked it so much on my 08 and failed to even look at the Merc Big tiller handle. But I could be wrong… its happened many times before:)

superstar
    Breezy Point, MN

Quote:

Mercury’s Big Tiller handle has been available since 2008, is available with or without hydraulic power steering, and is available with or without the Troll Control rpm-adjustment on the handle.
    http://www.mercurymarine.com/media/mercury/documents/899883424_PR-BigTillerSS_1009.pdf
    Oh yeah, available up to 250hp motors too. You Yamaha guys still waiting for that high-hp option from Yamaha?

HRG

Yamaha had enough sense to know there is no market for a 3 litre with tiller.

That tiller handle does resemble the handle on my Yammi though.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Quote:

Quote:

HRG

HRG, I was almost certain the Merc Big Tiller was not available in 08, that was the big reason I went with Yamaha. Then in 09 I just went with the Yamaha again because I liked it so much on my 08 and failed to even look at the Merc Big tiller handle. But I could be wrong… its happened many times before:)

Stinky, I took delivery of my 75 Opti/Big Tiller in April 2008, just in time for the WI opener. It was September 2007 when I first got to run one, up on Lake Winnie in MN at a Walleye Central Get Together, Yarcraft had one on a 20′ tiller rig.
    I haven’t posted on here in a long time, but so many guys keep making the statement “not sure if Mercury has a VTS feature” that I just had to reply.
    HRG

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Maybe I was just closed minded when I purchased my 08

I knew they had the VTS but did not realize that they had it pre 2008.

Thanks for clarifying for me.

joeyno5
    Rochester MN.

In 08 I ran the 75 Yammie 4 stoke, and I can’t say enough good things about the motor. Hole shot was great and performance was top of the line. At the time I leaned toward Yammie because they had the most user friendly tiller handle on the market and you didn’t have to pay an upgrade fee for it. I thought VTS would be the ticket, and for me it was almost worthless. I fish the river a majority of the time and when you are running up stream in current if you idle down to a crawling speed, you have no power to compensate for the changing current depending on where you were located on the seam, for us river guys there is just not a substitute for our kickers, so I ended up buying a kicker. The only thing I was disappointed in the Yammie was the Friction Control on the steering as I always seem to be messing with it, for as good as a product as Yammie has they need to spend some time fixing that issue because it never really works without adjusting it every other time I went out.

I put an EFI 4 stroke Merc on my winter boat, only a 30 HP but after running the newer EFI Mercs, tiller guys might want to spend some time test driving them. If I ran a tiller I would not overlook Merc and the friction control feature actually works. Kind of going out on a limb but I think Merc has a comparable product if not even a slight edge to Yammie. Most importantly is do you have a dealer close by that will service whatever motor you buy? You will be happy with either choice, and if you have an extended warranty option at no charge along with some rebates, that can make a tough choice alot easier.

Derrick Cox
    MN, Eagan

To answer your question joe i live just down the street from nelson and they will warranty the motor no matter what make it is. So i am just not sure if i want to spend the extra cash on a motor where i could have bought the, pretty much, the same motor for cheaper. Thats my problem

Derrick

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I have an F75 Yamaha and love the tiller handle on her and the variable throttle control

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

I like the Merc tiller.

The only reason I wouldn’t buy one is that its not compatible with the Titan hydraulic steering.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Kraig. Didnt you used to have a Yamaha on your boat? I looked at the Merc tiller at the sports show. Didnt look to be a lot of difference then my Yamaha which is a very nice tiller arm.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Yes Mike I still have a Yamaha.

I was just saying why I wouldnt buy a Merc motor.

I’m sold on the Titan steering and you cant put it on a Merc motor.

Other than that I like the mercs.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.