English River at Grassy Narrows Report – 6/24 thru 6/29

• bigstorm
    Southern WI

Year 14 on this system and each trip is different than the others. This year we had 3 of us in my boat that have been going here for years and 3 in another boat that were rookies here (and in Canada)

6/24
    Arrived at the launch about 12PM to a steady rain. The steady rain turned into a 2hr downpour as we loaded everything into boats and headed for the cabin (The Last Resort http://www.last-resort.ca/ ). After getting everything up to the cabin, changing into dry clothes and rain gear, it was off to the fishing. We stayed out until about 9PM (left home at 9PM the night before) and ended with 60 walleyes in my boat between the 3 of us. Not a great start for us but based on the weather, the fact that the entire river and all lakes in the area were close to 3ft low and the water temp dropped 8F in the past 2 weeks, we couldn’t complain. From there it was time to head to the cabin for a fresh fish fry and a few Blues/Mooseheads toast

6/25
    Weather was mostly cloudy and light winds with temps in the mid 60s. We went upriver as far as possible approx 23mi one way) with hitting our multiple spots along the way. This day seemed a little slower for us as we ended with just over 100 fish in my boat (fished from 8AM to 9PM), but we had a 29 1/8 and a 29 1/4 caught 5minutes apart so we cant really complain, lol

6/26
    Weather was close to the previous day just a little warmer. We hit the same spots as the previous day and started to find that 4 out of our usual 8 spots seemed to hold more fish that were active. We ended with just shy of 130 fish in my boat and the other boat with the new guys pulled out a 28in walleye

6/27
    This was the best weather day, mostly sunny with temps in the mid 70s and no wind. The fished responded and we ended with 140+ in my boat with the biggest at 25 1/2in. The other guys got a 27in and a 28 1/2in walleye as well

6/28
    Weather clouded up more but by this time in the trip we focused on only 3 of our spots. We ended with 130+ fish in my boat and the highlight of the day was getting a 45 to 47in muskie up to the boat after 5min when it latched onto a 19in walleye. I had a decent shot at netting the muskie and just as I reached, she let go of the walleye

6/29
    Overall a good weather day, light winds and partly cloudy. We focused on our 2 best spots for the week and ended with close to 160 fish in my boat (biggest was a 26 1/4). We headed back to the cabin earlier (about 7) to start packing for an early departure on 6/30

This area is pretty much jig fishing and working structure/current areas. We went thru 1lb of leeches, 30doz minnows, 50doz salted minnows, close to 20doz crawlers, and a lot of Moxies between both boats. The end count of fish in my boat was 731 (the other boat didnt have a counter until I remembered I had an extra on day 3), out of the 731, approx 720 were walleyes. While the count was down for us that have been going for 14 years, the new guys were amazed and getting them into areas where we knew they would catch fish was great. All 3 guys in the other boat caught personal best walleyes

We ended fishing for an average of 8hrs per day and driving around for 3 to 4hrs. We went thru 60gal of gas per boat averaging 45mi per day.

Another great trip in the books with the planning for next year already underway. Now I just have to wait for my trip to Rainy Lake in early October…..

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

Did you fish Dumpty Lake? I may have this spelled wrong.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

The water was about 3ft too low to get into Dumpy, most of our big fish came from Maynard Falls

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

Fished that area a lot years ago. Now fish mostly Rainy lake. In fact leaving Friday for a week. New adventure going to fish the Canadian side. Then back again mid August

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Good luck for both trips, I will be on Rainy (on the MN side) for the first week of October. This will be the 5th yr there. While fish count wont compare to the English River but Rainy in early October is still a great trip

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Sounds like a good trip. I’d be bored out of my mind catching that many Walleyes. grin

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Ya, this may sound really stupid, but it was actually a little slower compared to the 2 previous years (880+ last year and 923 2 years ago with the same guys in the boat)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.