English British Australian Doodles

• jwellsy

What’s the difference between English, British and Australian Labs?

I’ve only met one English Lab and he was a wonderful dog with an easy going personality. But in trying to research them I also keep running into British and Australian Labs. Are these variations essentially the same thing? From what I’ve read it sounds like the hunting instincts may have been bred out of the Australian Labs by focusing more on handicap service dogs.

We lost our 12 year old American Lab 2 years ago and I’m missing not having a dog. I’ve been looking into at least third generation Labradoodles from non-American lines. The hunting training would mainly be for waterfowling.

Any suggestions on kennels to check out? I would actually rather have a retired breeder and not have to go through the puppy stage.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Royalty British Kemmels in Milaca has sold retired breeders in the past. John Pesak is the owner. Our two year old is from him.

FDR

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

Are you sold on a labradoodle or would you consider a labrador? If you are going to hunt with the dog I was wondering why the labradoodle? Just curious.

jwellsy

Are you sold on a labradoodle or would you consider a labrador? If you are going to hunt with the dog I was wondering why the labradoodle? Just curious.

Lab hair would cause a lot of problems with SO. The house has just been remodeled including new floors so the puppy stage would be stressful for us. It would mainly be a family member and about six hunting trips per year. I would love another Lab, however for the sake of peace and harmony a third generation doodle would be a better match if I can find the right dog.

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

Not sure what you mean – my lab doesn’t shed whistling

So when you’re talking the difference between the British, American, and Australian Labs, your talking about labradoodles?

jwellsy

So when you’re talking the difference between the British, American, and Australian Labs, your talking about labradoodles?

No not really. I’m talking about Lab lines that have been used in Labradoodles. Trying to do Due Diligence on the genetic makeup.

I have met a few labradoodles that were obviously descendent’s of American labs and they were borderline a–holes. If I were younger and had the room I’d probably start my own kennel and develop my own lineage of characteristics that I want.

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

As far as American vs. British labs I can tell you what I know. In general, British labs are likely smaller, blockier, and have a reputation for being mild mannered. American labs are likely taller, can be more lanky, and have a reputation for being more high strung when hunting lines are the topic.

I’d look for the lab parent to have the “switch” – a strong hunting desire but when its time to hang up the boots they know hunting is over and its time to be a pet.

Australian – don’t know anything about them.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.