Engine Block Heater

• Bassn Dan

Buying a new off-the-lot GMC with the 5.3L engine, and I don’t think that it has an engine block heater. Is that even needed anymore on engines using synthetic oil?

Thanks.
    Dan

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Depends in several factors such as where you live, how often you use it (every day vs every month), are you putting synthetic oil in or the factory blended oil, etc. For the most part gas engines don’t normally need a block heater.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I don’t think it’s “needed” if by that you mean can you start the engine reliably in below zero temps. I started using Mobil 1 synthetic oil in the late 1980s specifically for the cold-flow and starting advantages. Since then, I’ve started engines as cold as -37 F. So if it’s only the occasional trip where the truck might be outside for the night, IMO starting it won’t be a problem. If in doubt, set your alarm and use the remote start to fire out the truck once or twice during the night.

Now to the difference between what you can do as a “once in a while” thing vs what’s good for the engine if you’re going to do it every day. If your truck stays outside so cold starts are a routine deal, I’d install the block heater.

Up in the northern half of Canada I’ve noticed workplace parking lots where in the winter half the cars are plugged in. And in homes, almost everyone who leaves a car outside will have it plugged in. Just so much easier on the engine and components to have it pre-heated before starting.

Grouse

JEREMY
    BP

I bet it has one and you just dont see it. If you know the vin# i can tell you.

realtreeap10
    Over there

Just an FYI the GM block heaters don’t come on, due to internal thermostat, until the ambient air temp reaches 0 degrees or colder.

Ripjiggen

I have never used one one on my 2017 GMC since I have had it.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’ve never used the one on my Cummins and it’s never seen the inside of my garage.

Bassn Dan

Thanks for the replies!

I have relatives in the Bemiji area and was thinking the block heater would be for occasional use there or other northern trips.

At home (Central Wisconsin) it “should” be in the garage – assuming it fits with that shark fin on top… My Chevy trucks have been a close fit in the 76 inch tall door opening, but they were older “pre-fin” models.

Thanks guys – it sounds like probably better with, but not essential for this area.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Other thing to consider is creating a coolant leak, we will only install them if a customer insists after many eventually causing leaks, even with professional installation. I’m with you don’t need one camp.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

It shouldn’t need one. A good battery is really all that’s required these days with modern fuel injection.
    What year truck? Look in the driver’s front wheel well. Sometimes on the older models, say 1999-2005 they’re zip tied up in there on the top of the frame rail near the brake lines and power steering lines.

Bassn Dan

Other thing to consider is creating a coolant leak, we will only install them if a customer insists after many eventually causing leaks, even with professional installation. I’m with you don’t need one camp.

Thanks John. I had misgivings about having the dealer add one, and will just leave it “as is.”

The_Bladepuller
    South end

Following up on grubson I have heard that the factory frost plugs may have a OEM heater in place of the plug & you just need the cord and anbition tp slide under and connect it.
    I have used a magnetic heater stuck to the oil pan when I was younger and the old V8 just turned to slow.
    I’ve stuck one on the oil filter of my skiddy with an aluminum block when I had to get it going.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.